Roar in 2000 Chevy Blazer

I just bought this Blazer in July. It drove fine for a couple of months. Then, a few weeks ago, I noticed a roaring/humming sound coming from the front and it continued to get worse. We took it in and were told it was right front hub assembly. The bearings have now been replaced but the roar is still there. However, now it stops when I go around a curve. Any ideas?

Reply to
Valerie

"Valerie" wrote

Believe it or not...I've seen plenty of these Blazers that have "both" front wheel bearing assemblies that are noisy. When does the noise stop, left curve or right curve? If the right side is a new bearing, I'm going to take a guess that the noise now stops when you are turning to the left?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
Jason Comstock

Were the bearing replaced on both sides? Are your tires feathered on the inside?

Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

Steve, my husband says the tires are not feathered. And the bearings were only replaced on the passenger side. We had all four tires rotated, thinking it might be tire noise. That didn't change anything.

Reply to
Valerie

More than likely then your bearing on the other side have gone bad also.....The shop should not have let it go if they didnt fix it in the first place......You state it stops when going around a curb to which side does the noise stop? Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

If I remember correctly, when I turn to the left, the roar stops. The bearings were changed on the right. Does that make sense? My husband also said that when they opened the housing (or whatever it is called) to change the bearings that a mountain of rust came out, like maybe this vehicle had been in a flood. Also, I've noticed that I can't feel the truck shift into third gear and with the roar being so loud (it is really, really loud), I can't hear whether or not it sounds like the truck is still in second gear. However, when I hit about 50 MPH the tachometer will drop back down like the gears are shifting. I'm so disappointed in this truck - I was thrilled when I got it and now I feel like I'll never be able to trust it.

Reply to
Valerie

I just cant visualize it right now to help me is your truck 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?Is it front wheel drive or rear wheel drive? This makes a big dfference by knowing this i more than likely can help you...... Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

"Valerie" wrote

Yep....it means that the left wheel bearing is making the noise that you hear. When you turn left, you unload the left bearing assembly and if it is noisy...that's when you will hear it quieten up a bit. Like I said before....often these trucks need "both" front wheel bearings.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai