2000 Camry Drive Noise

I have a 2000 Camry, ~95k miles. When driving there is a scraping sort of noise coming from the front of the car. Related to vehicle speed, not engine speed. I've checked brakes...I installed new pads last July...CV joints and tires. I see nothing unusual. Could it be wheel bearings? If so, is there a method I could use to verify wheel bearings? Any other ideas?

Thank you.

Reply to
David Glass

You verify wheel bearings by turning left and right to shift the weight at the front of the car and listen for changes in the sound - but wheel bearings shouldn't make a scraping sound, more of a rumbling sound, and they're not a common problem. Scraping is usually from the brake disk contacting the dust shield or if the pads were worn, from the replacement reminder in the last mm of the pads.

Reply to
Daniel

Consider the possibility of one or both struts. Recently did all that with a 2001 Corola, would have sworn it had to be in the wheels because all sound related to vehicle speed. Might have fluid leak from the oil in a strut. Replace cartridges or get almost a new front end suspension with complete struts.

Reply to
Charlie

I have a 2000 Camry, 98,000 miles with similar symptoms, scraping kinds of noises when turning from the front of the car and sometimes when I hit bumps on the highway. Turns out it was my struts. Replaced them and it took care of the weird front end noises. If your car has the original struts it might be time to replace or look at.

Mike C.

Reply to
Michael V. Cain Sr.

Hi...disks are not contacting dust shield and I replaced the pads last July. Inspected them just in case; they're o.k. I agree that it's probably not bearings...seems too soon. Couple of folks have suggested struts but this niose has a modulation to it like it's related to a rotation of something. When I replaced the pads I did not turn the rotors. Could this be the pads scaping on the edge created on the rotor when the rotor is worn by the pad? I'm doubting this because I don't remember the noise when I first changed the pads. This noise sounds more and more like worn out brakes but I've inspected the brakes carefully and see no problems. Any ideas? I'm kind of stuck and I HATE asking the dealer. Talk about getting a RUN-AROUND!

Reply to
David Glass

If the rotors are warped, wouldn't you feel a pulsation in the brake pedal when you apply the brake? I've never seen a warped rotor. Are they easy to spot visually? Are the inside and outside pads wearing at the same rate? Maybe your caliper is not retracting properly. Did you apply new grease to the sliding pins when you changed the pads?

The last time I had the tires rotated, they didn't put the hub cap on completely and it somehow rubbed against the tire at each rotation. Do you have hub caps? Try driving without the hub caps to see if the scraping goes away.

Reply to
RickC

Yeah...I'm doubting wheel bearings as a cause. Consensus seems to be that they typically are not problems with this mileage (~95k). Checks for the dust shield touching the rotors; not a problem. It's not worn brakes; replaced the pads last July. At that time I didn't have the rotors turned. Just had the rotors turned yesterday to eliminate that as a cause. The noise sounds very much like worn brake pads, although maybe not as loud. Any other ideas anyone?

Thanks.

Reply to
David Glass