Steering Growl

I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 4x4. It has a "growl" when turning the wheel to the left at low speeds. The "growl gets noticably worse as the engine compartment warms up.

It only happens when turning to the left.

Anyone having a similar problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
Patrick Goodyear

It isn't a "thunk"? If it is a growl noise you might have something rubbing on your front steering parts.

If it is a "thunk" noise there is a TSB.

Reply to
PerfectReign

I did have the intermediate shaft replaced, as I was having lots of clunks and rattles. That cleared up the clunks and rattles, but the steering growl remains.

I've checked the PS reservoir and there is plenty of fluid. Since it gets worse as the engine compartment gets warmer, I was thinking the steering gear box might be wearing oddly.

Thanks,

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Goodyear

try flushing the fluid first.

Whgitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks for the suggestion.

I confirmed that the noise is coming from the power steering by having someone rack the steering wheel back and forth while I was under the hood.

Seems like the power steering has to work harder at points when turning left.

I flushed the system, refilled, bled it, and made sure it had enough fluid.

Seemed to change/help, but didn't totally resolve the issue.

I'm now thinking it is a combination of things. The sound is definitely worse when turning left after engine warmup and at slow speeds. It is not noticeable, at all, when the engine is cold.

Is there a power steering fluid filter that might need to be changed?

I still need to check the front diff fluid level.

Also will check the left front hub for excessive play and/or noise.

Reply to
Patrick Goodyear

[...]

I have also checked the front differential. Oil started running out as soon as I took the fill plug out, so it seems to have plenty of fluid.

I didn't notice any excessive play in the hubs, but I did not take the wheels off either.

I turned the wheels, both steering wise and axle wise by hand, and did not notice an noise, but did observe several "rough spots" in the axle wise rotation.

My conclusion is that something is causing the PS to work harder at times, but I still haven't identified what it is.

Reply to
Patrick Goodyear