S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?

Considering S10 or S15 new truck purchase, and I see they all come with a couple of unwanted "features" as standard equipment.

Daytime Running Lights: No thanks. If I want lights, I'll pull the switch. I've heard a rumour the military/government/police packages do not have these. Anyone know how to get rid of this anti-feature?

Electronic Key: As part of an optional anti-theft system for city folk, this might be an acceptable inconvenience, but I really need the simple reliability of a basic mechanical key. Anyone know how to kill this system?

Reply to
Ol' Duffer

You're probably gonna do a lot of cussing. My 99 has automatic headlights and they are "difficult" to make back to manual. If your daytime running lights are seperate, simply pull the fuse. If they are part of the high beam system, pull the relay. I think the electronic key is still just an option. The way I read, you can't disable thing at all. You can't even change the entire ignition switch without it.

Reply to
George

You will find various posts about ways to abort or work around those keys.

Reply to
nailman

My kid has a Olds 88 with a chip in the key. One of his keys doesn't work. Its a resistor type of thing that when inserted becomes a proximity chip. If the resistance doesn't match, the key won't turn. You're right, of course. There are ways to beat it. Its just not very feasible for the average shade tree guy. Its all wired through the computer system and since its part of an anti-theft circuit, it is difficult to just bypass the damn thing. I'm sure that it doesn't even slow down a crook, but it sure as hell confounds the consumer!

Reply to
George

Depends on the year there were different systems of theft prevention. Usually they can all be bypassed with a simple module designed to work with a remote start systems.

Reply to
Eugene

Its a proximity chip. Simply make a copy of the key with a regular blank. Then, tape the key with the chip to a location close to the ignition, close enough for the plain key to start the car. Then break the key with the chip so a thief can't steal the car with that key your leaving in the car.

Reply to
Slade Smith

"Its a proximity chip. Simply make a copy of the key with a regular blank. Then, tape the key with the chip to a location close to the ignition, close enough for the plain key to start the car. Then break the key with the chip so a thief can't steal the car with that key your leaving in the car."

You know, that's a unique idea! Have you tried it?

Tony

Reply to
Tony F

Reply to
Ed Atyeo

Not sure where you'll get a NEW S-10/S-15, they stopped making them in '03. DRLs can be defeated on each ignition cycle, but it resets when the truck goes off. Not sure the S-10/S-15 ever had a key with a chip on it, so that's not really an issue.

Now, if you're talk>Why would you want to disable your day time running lights? It is for your

Reply to
Mike Levy

How?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Reply to
Mike Levy

I would also like to find info on disable the DRL on my 2002 S-10. Would really like to put in a switch to make it my option. Don't have a problem with the auto headlamps, but think the DRL is wasting fuel for nothing and adding to the visual clutter of the road plus the obvious of making the motorcyles harder to detect. There are websites on this, but nothing for a late model S-10. Pete

Reply to
Pete

Wasting fuel? The minimal amount of energy it takes to power those lights is NOT gonna make a fuel mileage difference.

Reply to
Mike Levy

DRL's "waste" about $12 per year in gas but they do save lives so my question is... What are the lives of you and yourfamily worth? BTW I don't hear anyone complaining about the fuel they waste on air conditioning.

DRLs, at sufficient levels of intensity, increase visual contrast between vehicles and their background.=A0 Various studies have shown that DRLs can improve the noticeability and detectability of vehicles in the central and peripheral fields of view. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Reports , Vol. 110 ; No. 3 ; Pg. 233; ISSN: 0033-3549 (May, 1995); Allen, J. M., Strickland, J., Ward, B., and Siegel, A.: Daytime headlights and position on the highway. Am J Optometry 46: 33--36 (1969); Attwood, D. A.: Daytime running lights project, IV: Two-lane passing performance as a function of headlight intensity and ambient illumination.=A0 Technical Report RSU 76/1. Defense and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine, Downsview, Ontario, Canada, 1976; Attwood, D. A.: Daytime running lights project, II: Vehicle detection as a function of headlight use and ambient illumination.=A0 Technical Report RSU 75/2.=A0 Defense and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine, Downsview, Ontario, Canada, 1975; Horberg, U.: Running light--twilight conspicuity and distance judgement. Report 215.=A0 Department of Psychology, University of Uppsala, Sweden,

1977; Horberg, U., and Rumar, K.: Running lights--conspicuity and glare.=A0 Report 178.=A0 Department of Psychology, University of Uppsala, Sweden, 1975; Kirkpatrick, M., Baker, C. C., and Heasly, C. C.: A study of daytime running lights design factors. (DOT HS 807 193). National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC, 1987.; Ziedman, K., Burger, W., and Smith R.: Evaluation of the conspicuity of daytime running lights. (DOT HS 807 609). National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC, 1990.

Rich B

I tend to side with Pete on this. Its going to use a "Very Little amount of fuel" But If you add it all up for the life of the vec, You also have to think of what else this causing shorter life on other parts as well.

Alt, Light bulbs, Etc,Etc Granted Its not much. But If the guy drives 40000 miles a yr. And keeps the car 3 yrs it might save 50.00 on gas.

Reply to
Kevin

I would like to be able to just turn the lights off period. It's simply a problem of pulling into a canted driveway and illuminating the interior of the neighbor's house in front of my truck. This is just one example. I have been blinded more than once by a vehicle that cannot turn it's lights out once it has come to rest with the engine running. I agree that DRLs are safe on the highway but they can be just as unsafe in other situations where the truck has come to a stop but the engine must keep running....

Regards

Reply to
Messenger

No offense, but can I have some of what you are smoking?

I have never understood this constant chatter about the evil nature of daytime running lights. They are a proven safety feature, and even if they were not, I fail to see why they are so objectionable. I suspect it is simply an attitude of "I am being told I HAVE to do something, therefore I must find a way to NOT do it."

Reply to
Commentator

exactly

kind of like the Stamp Act

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Judging from your comments, it seems that you are confusing the DRL's with the Automatic Light Control. Daytime Running Lights only come on during the day, hence the name. Setting the parking brake on my GMC *before* starting the engine, disables the ALC until I release it. H

Reply to
Hairy