Something Broke, But That's OK

I was working in the yard all day today getting the weeks worth of fallen leaves up off the lawn. I also cut a few low hanging branches from some of the maple trees in the yard. I worked up a pretty good appetite so I decided to drive into town ( I live in a very rural area ) pick up something to eat and run a couple of errands.

When I got home I pulled in the garage as I always do, I usually leave the garage door open when I'm not going to be gone long. As I pulled my 99 K1500 all the way in I noticed that it was darker than usual in the garage. Took me a second but then I figured it out, the day time running lights weren't on. The green light on the dash was still lit but no DRL's. I turned the lights on and off several times, they work fine. I shut the truck off and restated it a couple of times but the DRL's stayed off. Mine is the early 99 that uses the low beams for the DRL and they aren't burnt out.

I guess they may come back on as mysteriously as they went out but I hope they stay off. I was going to look for the ignition sensor wire one of these days that turns them on but I guess that I don't have to now. Has this happened to anyone else? I sure hope it's not something on the way out. I can't imagine what though.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Well, Brian it might be as simple as the fuse. I had a 97 model that I wanted to kill the drl's so I pulled the fuse. The light in the dash stayed on but the drl's were out. On the other hand, it might be some relay. You're drl's use the headlight system but only at about 75% of the brightness. I might be completely wrong about all this, but its just my 02. . . .

Reply to
George

Check that the e-brake isn't pushed down a few clicks. That will turn them off.

WW

Reply to
WaterWatcher

Well you know I did use the e-brake on one of my stops as I parked down hill. I just checked that no dice, but I probably would have seen the brake light on the dash. I also checked the fuse panel there is a fuse for the DRL's and fog lamps that I don't have. The fuse is OK. So I guess if there is a relay it went south, but that just saves me from deactivating them.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo