1995 850 Cassette Player

In my 1995 850 Volvo sedan, the cassette player (I believe it is the original) whenever I put a tape in automatically switches from tape 1 to tape 2 and keeps switching back and forth and won't stop. Does anyone have any idea why or how to fix this?

Reply to
patrick08

Install a CD player?

Seriously, though, the tape switches when the deck thinks the end of the tape has been reached. There are a variety of ways this could be detected, but my guess is that the drive belt(s) are worn to the point where the tape does not move, or move fast enough, and the deck thinks you're at EOT and switches direction. The belts are easy to change and probably fairly inexpensive if available, but you will have to remove the unit and take it apart to reach them.

If replacement belts are not available (which would not surprise me 23+ years later for a technology that has largely fallen out of use), it is very likely but by no means certain that O-rings would make reasonable replacements. It might take some searching to find someone who carries the diameter and sizes you need but keep looking--O-rings are available in a wide variety. The lifetime of O-rings used as belts is probably not close to the lifetime of the original belts, but I would expect them to last a while, at least, and you could try different materials because O-rings are made from several different materials including BUNA-N, silicon, and Viton. I'd try them in approximately that order because BUNA-N's are dirt cheap.

Good luck,

Reply to
JRE

???

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Obviously time for new glasses. 13+, of course.

Reply to
JRE