supercharger on 350 4x4

Page 1 of 3
here's the deal I have a 91 CK1500 half-ton and wouldering if anyone new if it would be a good ideal to put a supercharger on the truck for more speed
and power in 2wheel and 4wheel drive give me some Ideals if you have any
If you got a Diesel Engine in that truck that would solve the POWER problem, but as far as speed, I wouldnt expect much more out of a Stock Engine without mods

if

speed
I do confer Doc, that would b novel..
--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Amen....
--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10

new
any
Super on a Diesel? sure thing!
Looks like most supercharged Diesels are found in the history books, and in VERY large machienery like giant boats and trains. They also tried them in airplanes, but didnt work too well.
http://www.pps.net.au/4wdencounter/articles/supercharger_100.html
http://armor.kiev.ua/fofanov/Tanks/EQP/v_diesels.html
http://www.ingenta.com/isis/searching/Expand/ingenta?pub=infobike://pep/ije/2003/00000004/00000004/art00005
http://www.marinedieselusa.com/?ref=overture
WOW! now thats an engine bay!! http://www.antipodeum.com/galleries/australia2003/IMG_0073.html
I have also heard or a Diesel with BOTH a super AND a turbo! lets see if I can find one of those
This one doesnt have much to do with Supercharged Diesels, but I ran accross it in teh search, and couldnt help but scratch my head at this one. http://www.terrawind.com/H2oex.htm
Refinish King wrote:

Hes right I forgot about the old jimmy blowers. The early dragsters used them.
There are supercharged diesels:
GMC 671 superchargers originally came from diesel applications, onto funny car and dragsters. but they weren't street diesels, they were heavy equipment diesels: i.e. Euclid dump trucks, for mining and large earth moving projects. heavy drag line shovels and front end loaders.
Refinish King

Refinish King wrote:

So much cool stuff to read about, so little time!!!
A blower would definately up the ante quite a bit, but a turbo is free horsepower since it uses spent exhaust gases to spin the turbine. the supercharger is belt-driven off the crank and takes power to make power. I could think of easier ways to make serious power with the $3k it's gonna take to aspirate that motor. Do it like u wanna neighbor..........
--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10
Mad Dog wrote:

A turbo setup would make some very nice power, but turbo kits are far less common since they are much harder to install and usually more costly then a super.
A turbo or super would make good power for acceleration, but do not offer any help in compression braking for slow desents. If its good power, lots of low end torque, and good compression braking, then a 383 stroker is the way to go. There is no replacement for displacement!
since a super is the most likely option here, lets ask a different question, Whats better for the OP's truck, a roots type, or a centerfusial? Intercooler or no (if so, air to air, or air to water?)? how much boost should be run? Would a super improve the low end at all or just the top half of the tach?
what other mods should be done at the same time as the super? is the fuel pump up to the task? what about the T-stat? should he get a cool T-stat? and then sparkplugs, do you get one heat range cooler for the plugs?
First let me say that I am not the definative authority on Turbos or Blowers but I will offer my opinions. IMHO Compression braking is more of a issue when comparing automatic transmissions versus manual trannys. Static compression ratio also comes into play here. If i really wanted a supercharger i would choose a centrifugal blower, a centrifugal blower is basically the compressor side of a turbo that is driven via gear reduction with a belt off the crank. Roots type blowers use seals (wipers) to provide the mandatory tight clearance that a highly inefficient roots type blower requires and they are prone to case flexing. The blower will make good power everywhere, but heat becomes a issue when u compress air. Intercooling is good, i don't think your budget would allow for a air/water unit which is more efficient than a air/air unit, that's why air/air units are more common. The air/fuel ratio will have to monitored and modified so u don't "lean out" the motor and melt a piston. Anytime u start bumping cylinder pressures colder plugs are in order to help fight pre-ignition. The fuel pump should be matched to the BSFC of the motor, which will be .55-.60 after supercharging. however u decide to modify the dwell and duty-cycle of the injectors is up to you, whether it be via using a aftermarket PROM chip, increasing injector size and/or rail pressure or a stand-alone programable EFI computer such as this one: http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html Engine temperatures will be higher so modifying or replacing the thermostat will also be mandatory.
HP=[(injector size(lb/hr)x duty cycle)/BSFC]x(# of injectors)
--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10

power.
Free horsepower? No, not true. The turbo creates back pressure in the exhaust. If you had the same boost without the backpressure the horsepower would go up. Tell us why Ford and GM dropped turbos and went to belt driven superchargers. Is Chrysler the only American, well quasi American, turbo user?
Many GM Diesels had superchargers. Like almost all of the 2 stroke Detroit's.
Al
All 2 stroke diesels have blowers. I've posted this once before, but here's the pic again because it's relevant
http://members.shaw.ca/luke76/Photos/Turbo_blower-1.JPG
Detroit diesel 8V-92. Turbocharger feeds the blower. And that little cylindrical item to the right of where the turbo/ blower meet is a bypass valve. So as the turbo picks up and over takes the blower output the valve opens and the blower is partially bypassed.

gonna
driven