Synthetic Oil

I changed to Synthetic about 2000 miles ago,and I know you can go a long way. My question is,how long should I go before the first oil and filter change? I have heard to change it now,and also go the normal for synthetic. The truck is an 04' 2500 HD 6.0 w/16,000 miles. Any Thoughts?

Thanks Bill

Reply to
Bill

I changed to Synthetic about 2000 miles ago,and I know you can go a long way. My question is,how long should I go before the first oil and filter change? I have heard to change it now,and also go the normal for synthetic. The truck is an 04' 2500 HD 6.0 w/16,000 miles. Any Thoughts? Thanks Bill ======================================

Hi Bill, well one fact remains, if you're still using the same soda pop can sized oil filter, and regardless if your running Synthetic Oil that costs $40 a qt, it will get just as dirty, and just as fast as if you were using .99 a qt K-Mart oil.

While Synthetics may have the ability to last longer without molecular breakdown, and protect better in extreme temps, dirt in your oil, regardless of conventional oil, or synthetic will occur regradless. Also, blow-by contaminants will still also accumilate, and fuel dillution of oil will still occur.

If you're looking for really top notch protection, and the ability to go longer than factory recommended oil change intervals, either a larger outboard filter, or an additional auxilliary by-pass filter would be the way to go.

Otherwise, I would stick to the factory recommended intervals regardless of what oil you are using. Mark

Reply to
Mark D

On the first change, go 2-3000miles.

My synthetic oil changes consisted of 3-3500mile filter changes and

10,000mile oil changes. I would usually put the 10,000mile oil into my beater for another 3000. Saved money all around. You could go 5000 between filter changes if its highway miles, but that is allot of mile on today's oil filters. They filter so good they plug easier and faster.

Just my 2c...

Reply to
Shades

THe "problem" with SYN oil is that while the oil takes longer to break down it still gets dirty and contaminated with combustion byproducts and filter changes do not effectively remove this. I have one vehicle that I have run Mobile one in for 16 years now and when it was newer I used to change filter at 3k and oil and filter between 5 and 6k because you could "feel" the grit building up in oil that filter was not removing. Now I change oil and filter between 3 and 4k as it seems to get dirtier sooner now anyway. OTR trucks that run SYN lower have larger bearings with bigger clearances and a more complex filtering system than also neutralizes the the acid in the oil too (controls PH) that consumer vehicles just do not have or that it can be easily added on.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

I run a Wix or Ac filter. Mostly Wix. Does that make any differance?

Reply to
Bill

I run a Wix or Ac filter. Mostly Wix. Does that make any differance? ====================================== Not really Bill. The stock filters that you mention are fine though, provided your sticking to the factory recommended oil change.

Don't quote me on exact numbers, but I believe most stock oil filters only filter down to something like 20-25 microns.

With something like an Amsoil Bypass Filter, you'd be getting much better filtration than this, and also, some of these bypass filters that could be utilized are as big as semi truck filters.

The additional filtration capacity is tremendous versus stock, but the downsides are initial cost for the kit, the installation of the kit, and finding room in an engine compartment to mount such a large filter, and bracketry. With a bypass filter, the stock filter would also remain on the engine, so you would have in effect two filters.

The installation of a bypass filter is not all that complex. A Tee is installed on the Oil Sending Unit, and a Line from the Tee will send oil to the bypass filter. The oil could return to somewhere as simple as the Oil Fill Tube on the engine.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to persuade you to use a bypass filter, nor spend money, but I would pretty much stick with Factory recommended intervals if you're staying with factory stock sized oil filters, regardless of brand. Mark

Reply to
Mark D

I forgot to mention one other benefit of a bypass filter, and that is the additional qt, or two capacity for the engine. Mark

Reply to
Mark D

So then,if I don`t run an external filter,runinning synthetic is a big waste of money. It`s 2-3 times the money,and if I`m only using it 3000 miles,it`s a total waste.

Reply to
Bill

My experience with synthetic has been great. I use Amsoil, I change the oil every 10,000 miles, but I change the filter every 3,000-3,500 miles. My one truck has 275,000 miles and has never had anything done to the engine, my other has 189,000 with nothing done to the engine, our family vehicle has

158,000 and still going strong too. Can't say that the oil is the only reason, but I can't complain about it... besides Chevy trucks run forever...
Reply to
hipcheck

Have you heard about the Ea filters? If you're using Amsoil, you should see a big improvement on keeping the oil clean.

Reply to
rudyxhiebert

I must disagree that synthetics are a waste.

It routinely gets down to 20F or less where I live. Granted that's not that cold. but synthetics do not thicken up like regular oils do. Especially when it gets down to 0F or less, my diesel starts significantly faster with a synthetic. That translates to far less wear & tear on the engine & starter. Have you ever tried shifting a manual transmission with 80W/90 regular oil at 0F? My trans shifts like summer when it is 0F outside & the trans is cold! I've gotten similar benefits in my wife's car's gas engine.

Isn't the most wear given to an engine when it starts? Synthetics will leave a good oil film on upper engine parts where regular oils don't.

Granted that lots of the crud in the oil will accumulate synthetic or regular oil. But, since synthetics do not break down as easily, less crud will accumulate no matter what type of filter is used.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to