Tahoe Brake help... Doc need ya!!!!!

I have a 97 Tahoe, I have gone thru 4 sets of front pads and a set of rotors, rear drums are still good shape. The last change I did was over memorial weekend..... put on PowerSlot drilled rotors and Hawk HPS Pads ....... The Tahoe only has 50k on it, most stop and go driving. After I followed the break in procedure outlined for the pads and rotor, 100 miles no hard breaking or quick stops, my pedal is still soft and the brakes suck when hot. This is a stock SUV no frills and nothing added to get more HP.

The original rotors and HD Bendix Pads were better then this set up.......I did not have as bad a fade as now. How can I get a stiffer pedal when I change the rotors and pads back? The pedal was soft before the change and I hoped that the change would give me a stiffer pedal.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
S.C

"S.C" wrote

Good luck trying to get reasonable pedal on these trucks. They were crap when they were new, and there isn't much you can do about it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
sidewinder

"sidewinder" wrote

I can't find the specific campaign, nor can I remember what year it was for....but we were doing a campaign on some of the older trucks that involved three things. First, we had to check vacuum at the booster and verify that it was within their spec, second, we removed the brake master cylinder and measured the booster pushrod with a go/no go gauge and if the pushrod length was not correct....GM supplied an adjustable pushrod to bring it into spec. And the third item, (you will laugh at this, I know we did), you remove the brake pedal rubber pad and installed a new one that was about 2 inches thicker. Hilarious.

Anyway, I think I still have one or two of those adjustable pushrods kicking around in my box. I should probablyhttpp one off to Doc and he could experiment with it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
sidewinder

Doc fixed his problem over the weekend ...... so he is happy for now!!!

Reply to
S.C

So GM did have a campaign on brakes? I will have to see if one of my friends has anything on it .

Reply to
S.C

Ooooops I just read where he had problems again ......

Reply to
S.C

Reply to
sidewinder