TBI for an 85 again

Looking at a TBI off of a 88. Owner says that you only need a Knock sensor, TPS, and something else to run it. I know that an O2 sensor is in there too. Is there any other sensors that I need? Is the 85 HEI good, or do I need a distributor off an 88 or so?

The TBI comes with the TB, intake, wiring, and some of the sensors.

Thanks, Marcus

Reply to
Marc

Sensors needed:

Attached to TB: TPS, IAC (Idle Air control) Attached in other locations: 02, MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure), KS (Knock Sensor), ESC (Electronic Spark Control), CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor)

You'll also need an electronic fuel pump pushing 9-13psi, and the distributor off an 88'-95' truck.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Don't you have any junk yards? Snag a couple of quadrajets and grab a haynes rochester repair manual and a rebuild kit. The multiple q-jets should give you a selection of jets/needles and exchangeable parts. I've also read that already-remaned carbs aren't good for DIY reman people, because when they refinish it they obliterate numbers on the carb. Then with those you can make one good carb out of 2-3 mediocre ones. I haven't gotten around to this yet, but from what I read and what I've already done to it (taken it apart and 'fixed' it for my means) it doesn't look like it will be hard atoll-atoll. Personally I wouldn't consider a TBI for an '85. And no it isn't just because I hate 'car' computers (pls don't start another troll/flame war here guys) If you want fuel injection, get an edelbrock intake manifold/ EFI. It is basically direct port injection (8 injectors for 8 calendars) from what I understand (monster garage, bronco build-up). That's the only way I could justify it. I also think you will need, Throttle Position Sensor, a properly located O2, and a knock sensor. However don't forget the temp sensor! Basically all the sensors the computer will need to make it happy... I just think it's a can of worms. I'm pretty sure without some custom head work that you couldn't even mount a knock sensor that wouldn't throw codes. My personal feeling is that without allot of know-how, and time, you'd end up with a 2bbl piece of junk that would never go into closed loop mode, saving you no gas and not having the balls a 4bbl q-jet could have. Remember, no O2 and it will stay in open loop mode, no temp sensor and it will stay in open loop mode as well. No TPS and the feed back carb wont know what too do...no knock, no this that and the other thing and the comp will say "whaaa i suck dog nuts"

~KJ~ All statements in this post can be proven to be fictional.

"Marc" wrote in message news:NCkSb.3593$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews3.bellsouth.net...

Reply to
KJ

Damn you your not allowed to beat me to posts that I have to review for 45 minutes to try to sound un-retarded.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

The sender and fuel pump are included in the package. Everything is running $150. Thanks for your response.

Marc

Reply to
Marc

I have plenty of junkyards. I also have a good Q-jet on the 350 now. I don't like carbs. Never have, never will. The time I would have into tearing down

3 or 4 carbs and rebuilding one, would be about what I would have into installing a TBI.

I wouldn't be considering the swap unless it were a decent deal. I'm looking at $150 for the whole thing plus a couple of sensors.

I think that I have enough experience to install a measily little TBI for the chevy. :o)

I look forward to easy starting and the "never have to screw with it" tuning.

Marc

wouldn't consider a TBI for an '85. And no it isn't just

Reply to
Marc

LOL. Sorry dude!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Inline

Dude, rebuilding a quadrajunk is the same as burning money. The damn things never did run right even when new..............

$2200. A wee bit more than the $150 he's spending.

TBI's are perhaps the easiest of all EFI systems to retrofit. Even easier than rejetting and properly tuning a Quadrajunk.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Okay, sounded like you were going for a 'good deal' because it was a 'good deal' and not because you wanted a TBI. Good luck to ya! Tell me how the knock sensor scenario turns out!

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Simply a matter of tapping a hole in the head and screwing her in, unless the heads he has already have the hole with a plug in it.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I'd assume it would have to be in a specific place?

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Sounds like a pain in the balls. Guess I'd go quadra because I could basically just walk out with a few for free from my junk yard. My quadra has never seemed to work wrong. Only thing that doesn't work with the carb, isn't a part of the carb! As for the fuel injection, I was just saying how I would justify it to myself. Not that I could afford it right now, but wouldn't it be the next best step!? Then 4-bar suspension, about 12" of travel, shaved fenders, premium warn locking hubs, 5.ish gears, 55" tires, bead locks, 6-point roll cage, 4 33" subs each with their own 1200watt amplifier, 16 tweeters, and 46 midz, a color-shifting paint job, a 30,000lb winch, 120" high lift jack, an 80inch plasma in the back, about 90 combined inches of LCD all around, PS/2, 200cd changer, et al....... :-)

~KJ~

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

I wouldn't even waste $2200 on the "good" FI. A good complete LS1 engine with computer and all accessories can be had for $2500 with reletively decent mileage.

Marc

Reply to
Marc

My heads are going to be rebuilt anyway. Getting a little puffy these days. Sounds like a good time to have it drilled and tapped if it's not already.

Thanks for the info Doc and KJ.

Marc

Reply to
Marc

A properly set up Q-Jet is truly a thing of beauty. The local speed/4X4 shop says 1 in 10 will rebuild right. I had 1 of 4 turn out "perfect", but maybe I was just lucky.

Reply to
JR

Bottom of the passenger-side cylinder head, between cylinders 4 and 6.

Doc

troll/flame

Reply to
"Doc"

I believe that Knock Sensor goes in the water jacket drain hole on right (passenger) side of block just to the front and above the starter. Not in the head.

Brent

Reply to
Brent Popp

Reply to