timing a 4.3 vortec v-6 code w???

I am having trouble getting the timing on zero on the crank damper it runs best retarded what do i have to do to get it timed to zero on the damper???? thank you

Reply to
shiferbrains

Be nice to know a year and model. On some trucks with that engine you had to disconnect an electrical connector or ground a terminal in the ALDL to disable the computer before you set the actual timing.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Yes and some newer models cannot be even manually timed either.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

sorry i did not include the year of the vehicle it is the 93 jimmy with the

4.3 votec code w engine that i cannot get timed what do i disconnect if anything or where do i use a jumper thank you to the responses i got that helped me to give more info and ask other questions to clerify my problem
Reply to
shiferbrains

I think you're referring to the EST (Electronic Spark Timing) connector, which must be disconnected prior to setting your timing with a timing light...

this is a single wire connector, wire is tan with a black stripe...depending on your ignition system it is located under the heater box inside the passenger compartment or right next to the distributor on the firewall...

the correct timing for your truck should be located on the sticker on top of the radiator or fan shroud...

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Not sure they actually called it EST that year but they did when it first came out on 305 around 83. I will give you a tip to wake engine up some if you want to. When you disconnect lead mentioned above, set timing to 4 to 6 BTDC and run 89 octane minimum are set it to 8 to 10 BTDC and use 93 and not only will it run better and will improve MPG more than enough to offset fuel cost increase. Been doing that for many years with my 89. If you stick with 87 it limits potentail a lot and TDC or less base advance is about all you can ever run.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Yes, GM called it EST.

Nope. 83 would have still been a mechanical/vacuum advance distributor with ESC. The 305 didn't get EST until 1987 when the fuel system went EFI. Prior year V8s back to 1981 had ESC only, not EST.

Pollutes the air and brags about it.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

T'was quite common on the older TBI motors to bump the timing 3 or 4 degreees. You can't go too far or the computer complains, but 3 or 4 degrees will wake those motors up quite a bit...without affecting emissions...it's still a closed loop system that can adjust itself.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

ESC then but EST was what I considered 2 generation

As usually your full of it. It passed every Echeck with flying colors and passed by very wide margins too and would still today except the stopped doing checks. In the 10 years they did it here I never had any of my vehicles fail. The TDC baseline timing is so that aomw consumers can feed their addiction burn "cheap" 87 octane in them even though performance and MPG suffers. 87 octane was designed in 70's when 8 to

1 CR was the norm. When I got mine new in 89 I tried burning 87 in it for first 8K to 10K miles or so and it was a real slug in hot weather. After that I advanced timiing and started using 93 and never looked back still runs great today and 93 and timing change added about 3 to 4 MPG to highway driving on long trips and better power too. I also found during frequent trips to Colorado and Wyoming that manually advancing timing to 12 or 14 BTDC helped performance a lot above 5000 feet during extended stays because "EST" cannot do it on its own. It has been a while since I checked it but I beleive it is set at around 8 or 10 BTDC right now. People that ride in the old burb today are surprized at how well it runs and looks even today. I make many commuter trip thake my daughters to and from college on weekend during school year and it is about 75 miles one way urban driving and when gas prices are stable I make 3 trips up and back before I refuel and it averages high 16's to mid 18's on these trip cycles. ( if you keep it under 70 it will do around 18 mpg and at 70's and above MPG drops a bits towards the lower number of the stated range.) Not bad for a 4x4 burb with 180K miles too and using A/C when needed because I never drive it with windows down. BTW, except for a custom 3 inch single exhaust with a quieter flow master and timing change it is stock too. (no lift or big tires either)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I found that it will go a lot more than that if you use better fuel and still easily pass Echeck. Dumping 87 octane is a must do with those TBI engines if you want them to respond well to timing changes.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Why? They are two entirely different things.

Other than snow plowing, your credentials are?

Meaningless since IM emissions checks are orders of magnitude different and more lenient than the original federally mandated emissions regulations. You really don't want to debate this with me considering that as an employee of the vendor contracted with the state of Ohio, I traveled to Ohio many times in late 95 and early 96 laying the groundwork for Ohio's emissions testing program.

It's still considered tampering. No different than removing the catalytic convertor or an air pump or the EGR valve. You wouldn't have gotten away with it in a state where the ignition timing is actually verified to be correct.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the phrase "aomw consumers."

Your 89 is a 5.7 liter, correct? The stock compression ratio is/was 8.2 to 1 According to you then, 87 octane was designed for that engine.

I don't know if you've noticed, but in all these years that you've been touting your kludge fix for your poochy Suburban, I've never once said that advancing the timing wouldn't change the way it runs. That still doesn't rule out that there is a malfunction that you haven't been able to diagnose in 19 years...

That pretty much dovetails with the TSBs we got at the beginning of each model year instructing on how to adjust 49 state vehicles for high altitude operation.

No surprise that they are surprised, they were horrible trashy trucks.

Please explain why this makes you special such that you are able to ignore federal law and tamper with emissions components. If you can't do that, please explain what it has to do with anything, anything at all...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

T'was quite common in 1975 to break off the plastic caps and run the idle mixture screws out a few turns until the exhaust stunk like a sulphur pit. There's fixes and then there's half-assed back yard hack fixes.

You guys must have some whimpy emissions checks. In this state, two degrees makes way to much NOx.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Oh I'm so very impressed--may I kiss your feet?

Only by the likes of you.

Untrue.

The correct ignition timing is where the engine runs best using the fuel that is in the tank. Actual timing numbers given by the manufacturer happens to be a statistically good number, but rarely the best number for all possible conditions.

If there were such a thing as "correct engine timing" as an ordained value automotive engines would never deviate from that ordained number as they do on the fly. Nor would the state allow cars with a stretched timing chain to stay on the road (for vehicles using conventional distributor ignitions.)

But then again you do sound full of shit enough to be a civil servant.

You're plainly an idiot. It is a rather ordinary mistyping of the word "some". If you look at your keyboard you might be able to see how that happens. But belonging to the civil servant class of person doubtless prevents you from understanding the ordinary things of life that aren't in your officially provided manuals.

No it wasn't. 87 octane was designed for general use, not "for that engine." (See how easy it is to act like a civil servant who behaves just like you do?)

The answer is in his better performance. Get a clue already.

And your point is?

So there is no single ordained number for ignition timing after all.

The more I read the trashier you get.

Cite the federal law. They're all on the internet. I'm tired of claims like this with no teeth in them.

He did. You haven't.

Reply to
nonsense

Now why do you suppose they did that?

Usually "half-assed back yard fixes worked well.

You live in a totalitarian state.

Reply to
nonsense

Because they didn't know any better. Just like you.

Probably, if that's all you're capable of.

Maybe. So, where do you draw the line at which laws you obey and which you don't? Cost? Convenience? Expedience? Personal preference? Risk of being caught? Risk of injury to others? Risk of injury to self?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

You know nothing about me.

What works well works well regardless of how much or how little the person making them knows. But your petty little comment is only stupid and argumentative and as such your comment is insignificant.

All of the above along with a personalized sense of morality coupled with some common sense. Don't try to speak of laws as though they're always "right" because they aren't. Anyone who blindly obeys laws simply because they're there is an idiot.

Reply to
nonsense

I know that you're a weenie.

At 11:16 you plonked me. Now you're replying to me. Seems as if you like to use words without any understanding of what they mean.

No not insignificant. Actually, this whole little sub-set points out the trait that you and Snojob share; that you're both too stupid to realize how stupid you are. Dumb and Dumber.

IOWs, your typical sociopath.

Where did I do that? Matter of fact, where in any of this did I indicate agreement with the laws in question?

And anyone who blindly ignores them is paying fines or in prison or dead or headed towards all three.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Where I live now, in Arkansas, no checks at all. However, prior to '93 I was in SoCal. I was also a licensed smog tech out there.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

That's all well and good but, things have changed drastically since 1993, especially concerning emissions systems on cars/trucks and the way that they're being tested.

I'm not trying to put you down OC, but I see late 80s early 90 GM TBI trucks almost weekly that fail NOx testing and it's simply a matter of re-setting the ignition timing to where it's supposed to be.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

No offense taken. You hit upon one of the very reasons I live in Arkansas now instead of California. Too many people, too many drugs, too much loss of personal freedom. You can have it, I don't want it.

If the truck was mine, I'd retard it back to specs for the inspection and then advance it afterwards.