Tire load ratings

I have been running Les Schwab XTX tires on my half-ton Chevy 4x4 with good results, though I still get an occasional flat from rock punctures on gravel roads. The tires are "C" load rating. The all-up weight of the rig is 6100 lbs. I would like to get better protection from punctures, as at my age it is a real chore to change a wheel.

My question is what are the trade-offs of upping the load rating on the next set to "D"? Will I see any difference in tire tread wear? Any difference in the ride? Any adjustment to air pressure? Any reduction in punctures?

Thanks . . . Kurt

Kurt Herzog

Grants Pass, Oregon

Reply to
Kurt P. Herzog

Keep the same pressure assuming you are staying with either P-metric tires or LT tires. If you are going from P-metric to LT tires you will be able to increase the pressure which *should* increase your gas mileage, maybe. The ride will be a bit stiffer, though I didn't notice much of a difference on my Suburban when going from a P-metric to an LT tire. No effect on puncture resistance. Tread wear should be about the same.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Reply to