Tires - Which are Best?

I have a 2500HD which is in need of new tires. I usually buy the best I can since I believe a few more bucks spent on a tire is cheaper than money spent on an accident.

I am interested in highway/road tires. My truck sees very little off-road driving. If I am first & foremost interested in traction during all seasons (wet, snow, etc.) with price secondary, which tire is the very best tire I should get?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Generally people put tire wear / longevity in their *wants* when they consider a "best tire".

Since you want traction first and foremost, you should look at a tire made of different compounds that what the rest of us would desire. I believe it's fairly easy to make a tire with excellent traction if wear isn't an issue (race care tires only last a hundred miles or so).

Bridgestone makes a very highly rated snow tire, I'd start with them.

Reply to
Advocate

Good Year WorkHorse tires. They bit in the soft, get decent wet, and wear like iron. I also like Good Year G133's. But they don't have the mud and snow grip of the Workhorse line. Yet on a 4WD they work well enough in mud and snow.

If you want something with a more aggressive tread, look at some of the B.F. Goodrich tires. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I just bought a set of Trxus STS radials for my K5 and couldn't be happier. They are great in the snow and even better in sand and rain. The wear on them is exceptional and overall I am very satisfied.

I got the STS all terrain. just my .02

Reply to
Cheryl and Rob

I am sure you are right in that most people look for longevity first. But, I have found that the cost differential is generally 20% or less to buy the best traction tire over the longest wearing tire.

To me, the safety of my truck and especially my family comes first & I feel the extra 20% is cheap insurance against an accident.

This is just my >

Reply to
Dave

Per Dave:

How about Consumer Reports mag? Seems like they test tires each year.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Consumer Reports is a damn good idea!!

Reply to
Cheryl and Rob

Firestone makes a good winter tire also, its called WinterTrac, and it has holes for studs

Reply to
Adam

In the past I have used several differant tires on my trucks.The 2 best by far would be Bridgestone,or BFG. I think I would lean toward the BFG's a bit. Just my opinion.

Reply to
Bill

Michelin LTX A/T

I have known these tires to go 60,000miles or more before getting thin tread and I have always heard great things about traction in all conditions. I really like the BFG A/T KO for all around everything. Maybe a hair more traction than the Michelin but wont wear as good. Cost is allot less. The Michelin probably handles a bit better too.

To get great tire wear, always check the manufacture date of the tire. Too fresh of a tire will wear out REAL quick.

Reply to
Shades

I also have had very good luck with Michelins. I have XCX APT's (from Sears) on my Tahoe. About 47000 miles on them. They handle well and have plenty of tread left even now.

Reply to
Mike W

I've always had a good ride and high mileage from Michelins. But not all Michelins are created equal. Do some research on Michelins and you may find that Sears usually carries the lower grades of Michelins. Find the best rated ones, usually a bit more expensive and worth every cent.

Lena

Reply to
Lena

I have a 96 Jimmy and for summer I have a set of Bridgestone Dueler Revo's and for winter I have a set of the Bridgestone Winter Dueler Blizzaks. The Blizzaks are amazing in wet, slush and snow and have great ice stopping capabilities. My friend who works at the dealer put me on to them and said they had a top rating from a Consumer report. The summer duelers are also a good winter tire. Both tires run quiet on the highway and are not a harsh ride. I highly recommend both tires.

Reply to
ba5416

Got 40k miles on BFG AT ko's on my Yukon. Tread depth gauge says half worn at those miles. Winter traction is my main concern, very little off road stuff. I'll buy another set when these wear out.

Forget about Consumers Reports, as a appliance tech. I see them recommend crap as a best buy all the time, then after a year or two downgrade the item to not so good. If anything just go with their report on junk and take the latest 'n greatest with a grain of salt. Here's where ya get the real skinny, not some Volvo pilot's rating on truck tires..........

Reply to
Repairman

How are those Revos?

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Michelin LTX AT. they are the best for traction and heat rating. Bands don't break and they will go a long way before replacement is needed. Buy from Sam's club for the best quality and service. Don't buy shit from Sears.

Reply to
RayGunn

Maybe things have changed, but I have a set of Michelins from Sears on my '95 Tahoe pushing 50K miles with plenty of tread remaining and they handle great. Do you really think Michelin would put their brand and reputation on the line producing an inferior tire sold through Sears? Whatever . . .

Reply to
Mike W

Dave in reply to your question im a tire technician at Discount Tire here in Apopka. If your looking for good driving tires i like the michelin LTX. Most of the bigger trucks that come into my shop either have those on them or get them. Many people like them and prefer them over many. They last a while if u keep them rotated and balanced ever 5-6,000 miles. But thats my choice, hope i helped you out.

Reply to
Jdub89 via CarKB.com

Nokian WR

Awesome in the wet and snow. Had them in my 03 Blazer, my brother has them on his 2wd 2500 that he drives for work, and his 2500HD.

They are not the most expensive tire out there, but not the cheapest, either. They were rated higher than the Michelin X-Ice and Arctic Alpin's on snow and ice. They are more of a winter tire that just happens to do everything else very well, too.

My brother has about 50,000 miles on the set on his work truck, and there's plenty of tread left.

Reply to
Jim

I just put my second set of Michelin LTX M/S tires on my 99 Suburban - 1500

4wd. I got 80,000 miles out of my last set and could have gone more but wanted new rubber for the upcoming winter months and mountain driving in the snow. This is the vehicle that I use to take my family skiing with in the mountains of Colorado during the winter time and I too wanted a tire with good wet/snow traction. Most of the miles we put on this vehicle are highway miles, but they do see some offroad use 2-3 times a year.

Quiet, long lasting, handle well. They cost more than some but with my experience they've been worth it.

Here's a link to their web site:

Good luck. Greg

Reply to
Greg