Best snow tires?

What's a good snow tire for a 175/30-13?

it's a generic question it;s for a tercel 4wd wagaon.

175/70-13's if ya please

nokkian bridgeston blizaack? michelin arctic alpine?

Reply to
Fx199

Go for Yokohama Guardex amazing tires.

Johnny "Fx199" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m24.aol.com...

Reply to
Johnny

Like for many things in life, there is no clear answer: Blizzaks are great on ice but have lousy handling and wear quickly; Michelin Artic Alpins are great on great on dry road, OK on ice but not on snow; Dunlop Graspics are great on snow, so-so on ice and dry; Nokian models each seem to have their strengths depending on the model, but they have downsides (Q have bad handling, 1 and 2 are bad on wet roads, WR give some ice and snow traction up for highway driving) and they are expensive... (loosely based on Consumer Reports and Tire Rack tests. Feel free to disagree...) The best tire really depends on what you need.

In my case, I live in Montreal and do a fair bit of highway driving. What I wanted were good ice and dry tires, as snow is picked up fairly quickly here and I figure AWD will get me through snow (1st winter with a Subaru - 2000 Legacy Wagon -, may change my mind on that last one... :) ). I went with Kumho KW11, rated very good for ice braking, hydroplaning and handling and excellent for ice and wet braking by Consumer Reports, and inexpensive (approx. 100$CAN each for tire, balancing and installation, with taxes), but would have gone for Nokian WRs if money had not been an object (approx. 170$CAN for same).

My 2 cents.

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore

"Nicolas Dore" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Nokian Hakapeliitta.

Reply to
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

Goodyear ultra grip studded...comming from a place with the hashes winter and snowfall records...Newfoundland...unstoppable

Reply to
P&C

Have you ever tried the Nokian?

Reply to
Chicken'n Toast

Problem with Snow tires is that everyone has a favorite and no one has really tried a lot of different ones. People will say Nokian are the best but Consumer Reports didnt find anything special. Truth be told, most winters are a vast improvement over all seasons. Moreover, Subaru all wheel drive makes even a mediocre winter tire seem like a star!

CW

Reply to
CW

Sure, if you're going to drive on ice and snow all the time (never having been to Sweden, I do hear that a lot of their roads are pretty much snow covered all winter). If you're driving on wet or dry pavement most of the winter, as most of us are, I think it makes more sense to use an ice tire.

Here's another test that you may find interesting. Arguably, Wintermasters are probably not half the tire that a Nokian Hakka 1 is...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Mason