Trans question

I have a friend that is going to move to Arizona from Indiana. He has a 96 G-20 van. It has 5.7 engine and it has all the extra coolers for trans and oil. The van has 9000lb G.V.W. so it is on the heavy duty side of the scale. The trans it has is the 4L80E or option code MT1. We will be towing a car on a trailer to Arizona ( a Mitsubishi 3000) The question is whether we should tow in overdrive or should we tow in 3rd. The owners manual deos not say anything about this. What are some of your opinions. Thanks in advance. Scott

Reply to
zonie

It must be a G30 as G20's did not come with a 4L80. (if it has 8 lug wheels it is a G30). As far as towing, I would not use OD here and I would also suggest that you avoid the hottest parts of the day when towing with that older van as tempatures can get brutal down that way in summer during the day and together with towing you want to try to minimize the chance of problems.

SnoMan