Truck help (brakes)

Hi there, hope everything is going well for you. Had another question on this truck. (96 Chevy full size 4x4)

I told you awhile back that sometimes when applying the brakes lightly it would bounce up and down in the front end. I took the rotors off and had them turned. (It took them awhile because one he said had hard spots on it). I put everything back together. (I used the old pads because they had alot of wear left in them and they were from Midas with a lifetime warrenty.

One thing I noticed when taking the calipers off, on the drivers side the bolts came out with the "round" thing that looks like a socket that the bolt goes through. (Is this called a slide?)

The other side just the bolts came out.

ANyway when I put everythign back together and drove it there is a "thump" sound as the brakes are applied coming to a stop. I think it is coming from the passanger side. The thump gets slower as the vehicle gets slower. Seems more pronounced the harder the brakes are applied. Seems to stop fine.

I came back took that caliper off, drive those socket things out. One of them had marks on it. (Maybe scored?) I cleaned them up and grased them good and reinstalled them. The one that was scored or whatever moved after being cleaned and regreased but required more effort ot move than the other one.

I put everythign back together and drove it again. The thump is still there.

Will this hurt anythign and what can I do to get rid of the thump?

Reply to
stryped

It's a bit hard to actually visualize what's going on, but after having your rotors cut, you should've used all new Pads, regardless of how nice the others looked.

These then should've been applied with an anti-squeal compound to the back of the pads.

The thump does surely sound like something is binding up front with the Caliper. Hope you get it cured. Mark

Reply to
Mark D

ALWAYS,put new pads on after turning the rotors. To me it sounds like the rotors have not been turned very well.

Reply to
Bill

In my 40+ years behind the wheel, I've experienced just about every kind of bad brakes, but I've never seen bad brakes cause the vehicle to"bounce up and down in the front end". Worn or broken shocks are usually responsible for that. A broken shock could also explain the "thump".

Dave

Reply to
Hairy