truck take forever to heat-up

Hiiiiiiii Gord,

I live just about 1 Km East of the village of Nolalu Ontario, right on Hwy 588. Our house is approx. 50 Km South by South West of Thunder Bay Ontario. It was -33C this morning (under -20 F but unsure of the actual value) and I stopped on the way to the morning chores to check the jug I left on the deck (so I wouldn't miss my chance to check) and it was green liquid. No ice, no slush and no gel (whatever that is). Supersore brand, no-name antifreeze. Over the years I have tried Mastercraft (Canadian Tire brand) and Prestone and Prestone II as well as some stuff I got from K-Mart and I have NEVER seen solid green.

Where do you live Gord? Sounds like you get the kind of weather that would freeze fuel oil in the tank or stop propane from turning to gas. At those temps you can break a spring by just climbing into your truck in the morning.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

"Steve Cook" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-2211.public.lawson.webtv.net...

Re: truck take forever to heat-up Top Post.... Hers one for ya...What is the ratio of coolant to water in your system...If you have more water in freezing weather it will slush up....Deending on the ambient temp outside pluse the windchill factor.......you may only need to flush your system and replace the coolant using aroung a 80 to 20 mixture 80 being coolant 20 water...Unlike popular belief you need water to activate the antifreez..thus keeping it from freezing or slushing up.....Its like the salt thing where you throw salt on ice it melts...ok but it has to be above freezing to do so right because it will just keep freezing what it melts.... Steve C Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Jan 11, 2004, 7:54pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@sonny.net (Mr Ranger) Mike Levy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: Missed the first post, but is this temp. reading you're giving us from the OEM gauge? May be that the ending unit is not reading right, had it happen to me, didn't think it was right that the truck was only running at just over 150° in the middle of summer. See if there's some other way of reading the temp., or replace the coolant temp. sending unit. Mike, Working off gauge on dash. Bottom line though, takes forever to warm-up, to put out heat. I don't need a gauge to know that I'm freezing! I Do though believe the gauge is close enough, it does seem to corespond to temp of the thermostat, once warmed-up. Thanks, Mr Ranger

Hi, I'm new to the group but thought I'd put in two cents worth here. There are properties of liquids known as boiling point elevation and freezing point depression. These properties are evidenced when two liquids that are mixed together have a lower freezing point and higher boiling point than either of the original liquids. The freezing point depression property is what is happening when antifreeze and water are mixed in the cooling system to protect it from freezing. Additionally, freezing point depression is also shown by adding soluble solids to a liquid; adding salt to water is an example. If one looks at the charts in the link provided by The Nolalu Barn Owl,

one will see that the Methanol/Water Mixture chart shows the effect. In regards to a jug of antifreeze freezing or not, the actualtemperature at which the antifreeze in the jug will freeze is determined bythe concentrations of various components. Unless the antifreeze consist ofone pure component the freezing point will be depressed from the freezingpoint of the primary component(s). Loyd

Reply to
Blake Loyd

Huh?? Pure-D antifreeze. no ration of any OTHER components. No freezing at any time in at least the last 30 years. I am getting weary of racing outside with a flashlight to see PURE liquid and then having to listen to people who learn from books, repeating mindlessly what they hear, tell me that it is gelled (whatever THAT is) or slush or frozen or whatever. It is liquid. It is ALWAYS liquid down to any temperature mother nature has given me as far back as I have been interested in looking at this.

-- Gordie

MIRACLES:

"Gemma di Giorgi was born without any pupils in her eyes. In 1947, when she was just seven years old, Di Giorgi's grandmother brought her from Sicily to San Giovanni Rotondo where St. Padre Pio was and asked him to heal her blindness. After confession and her first communion, Padre Pio made the SIGN OF THE CROSS on each of Gemma's eyes.

Then it happened. She could see DESPITE THE LACK OF EYE PUPILS."

The Nolalu Barn Owl

Gordie, I didn't mean to imply that you were wrong. I was just giving the particulars as to why antifreeze works. The antifreeze in your jug may be pristine pure. It may consist of only one ingredient. It may have a freezing point that is far below what the ambient temperature has ever reached at your location. Or, it might be a mixture in itself, it might be contaminated with water from the atmosphere if the jug has been open for thirty years(alcohols are hydrophilic), someone may have used some and added some water so you wouldn't know. It doesn't matter. I believe you. I have no reason not to. :)

Loyd

Reply to
Blake Loyd

This is a joke, ryte?? Different jugs, different brands, no water, 30 years, at least -30F and now a guy who can't pay attention.

-- Gordie

MIRACLES:

"Gemma di Giorgi was born without any pupils in her eyes. In 1947, when she was just seven years old, Di Giorgi's grandmother brought her from Sicily to San Giovanni Rotondo where St. Padre Pio was and asked him to heal her blindness. After confession and her first communion, Padre Pio made the SIGN OF THE CROSS on each of Gemma's eyes.

Then it happened. She could see DESPITE THE LACK OF EYE PUPILS."

The Nolalu Barn Owl

Well, I just checked the ingredients on a couple of jugs that I have. They both are mixtures of two different glycols, and they both contain water as well as rust inhibitors. So, they are not pure compounds. What brand is it that you have that doesn't contain water?

Loyd

Reply to
Blake Loyd

So then, your antifreeze already has more than 50% water out of the jug? You don't have a mix chart for your antifreeze?

Your antifreeze is listed as a food product and as such must include a list of ingredients?

Just WHAT is it you would have me believe?

-- Gordie

"What becomes, I ask, of the claim that in recent centuries the Gospel of Christ has been restored to its original purity? If those persons who lived in the first years of the Christian era are disqualified from giving testimony, how are critics to learn the characteristics of the early Church? If, on the other hand, the testimony of early Christians is accepted, as it should be, then the doctrines of the Catholic Church are confirmed."

The Nolalu Barn Owl

First off, I have no idea how much water is in the antifreeze as it only gives the ingredients and a reference number for some reason( I assume it has to do with health and safety standards). I have no idea where you get the idea that just because something contains a list of what is in the package it makes it a food product. If that were the case, then I suppose the steel wagon my great nephew got for Christmas is a food product because it contained a list of what was in the box. Of course there is a mix chart for the antifreeze. It gives a fifty percent mix as being good down to -34 and up to 265 and a seventy percent mix as being good down to -84 and up to 275. But that is all it gives, no other percentages. So I have no idea at what temperature the antifreeze would turn to slush or freeze. As for what I'd have you believe, I wouldn't have you believe anything. As for what I'd like you to realize, first is that I never questioned your veracity about the antifreeze you have outside never freezing. Second is that my original post was just one of general information as to why antifreeze does what it does. And third is most modern antifreeze sold in gallon containers is made up of more than one component.

Loyd

Reply to
Blake Loyd

First of all you jumped into a fray that doesn't exist. Nobady except you and me cares about this thread. Second of all you ask questions that reveal that you haven't read all the posts or you would already know the answers. Third of all, in Canada, food products have to list their ingredients by law. A list of nuts and bolts is not a list of ingredients is it but is a parts list. You are being silly. Forth of all, IF there was already enough water in the jug I got from the store then there would be no need and indeed no way to mix in any more water. Last but not least -- try the experiment yourself!

-- Gordie

CULTS AND SECTS:

"Remember: every sect in the world feeds off of the Catholic Church. Our Holy Catholic Church is like a great and extremely precious unpolished diamond, from which every so often somebody takes a particle and polishes it--not without the help of the evil one--so that it begins to shine better that the great unpolished diamond. And this shine draws men, dazzles them and deceives them, so that the particle necessarily is worn out and comes to nothing. This is the game of deception, which appears and reappears with time. Jesus warned us to watch out for it!"

Padre (Saint) Pio - Stories of Padre Pio p.60 by Madame Katharina Tangari ISBN 0-89555-536-0

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

The only reason I care about this thread is that you seem to think I was arguing with you about the antifreeze not turning to slush when I wasn't doing any such thing. If you go back and read what I wrote you should see that.

In fact, I asked one question and that was to what brand antifreeze you had that didn't contain water. If you don't believe me, go back and check for yourself. Also a fact, I had read ever post in the thread before I posted to it.

Of course I was being silly to match your being silly about antifreeze being a food product just because the ingredients are given on the container.

I agree.

Can't. As I said before I take your word for it . I live in south Georgia and have no means to get a jug of antifreeze down to -30 if I wanted to.

Reply to
Blake Loyd

The mix freezes at a lower temperature than either water or antifreeze does by itself. The article was a good one. Diluting has the benifit of stretching your dollars but the real reason you do it is because of the chemistry. You don't have to believe it if you don't want to. It's still true anyway. Another reason to dilute is that water has better cooling properties than antifreeze. That's also chemistry.

Reply to
Renegade Knight