HVX Mods & Oil Cooling

Dear Buglover,

Yes.=A0 The idea of using #4 as a restrictor to increase either flow or pressure has merit.=A0 But I do NOT think the purpose was to improve oiling of the main bearings.=A0 As you know, the main bearings are the source of pressurized oil for the connecting rods, although not on a full-time basis.=A0 The oil passageways in the rods and in the crank only align every 180 degrees, indicating that these bearings do not require a great deal of oil for proper lubrication. (Indeed, this is generally true for all plain bearings._

I think the purpose of the restrictor is to increase the flow of oil through the oil COOLER.=A0 As partial support for this idea is seen in WHEN VW began installing the #4 plug in this fashion, that is, the

1600 engine was known to have problems keeping itself cool, especially in tropic climates such as Brazil, whereas there's no history of lubrication failures.

With the HVX mods the oil cooling system is modified in that ALL of the oil flows throiugh a low-restriction oil cooler (ie, the Mesa- type).=A0 In a vehicle, the flow to the oil cooler is usually governed by a thermostatic valve which by-passes the oil cooler until the oil temperature reaches approximately 180 degrees.=A0 In an airplane, the temperature is controlled MANUALLY.=A0 The pilot opens or closes a set of shutters which controls the flow of cooling air throuigh the oil cooler.=A0 Using manual control is a bit old fashioned but it removes a component from the system (ie, the thermostatically controlled valve) and gives the pilot the ability to pre-configure the cooling system prior to take-off (ie,=A0 OIL COOLER - OPEN ).=A0 With a big engine (and at least a quart more oil) you've got a lot of waste heat to manage.=A0 Prior to take-off you can get stuck behind some guy doing his nails and it may be twenty minutes before you're cleared for take-off -- plenty of time for your Oil Temp to creep into the red. Your take-off run will bring it down a tad but you're at full throttle and as soon as you begin your climb-out your oil temp will start to rise, Since the angle of the aircraft will reduce air-flow through the oil cooler, you'll want to keep your climb-out rather flat.

If you're just doing Bumps & Grinds out of some cow pasture you'd probably have the oil cooler in the circuit all the time.=A0 But if you're actually going to FLY somewhere, configuring the engine for optimum performance at your cruising speed & altitude is critical, since it effects how much fuel you'll burn... which dictates how far you can fly.=A0 Once you are at your cruising altitude your oil temp will tend to be too cold.=A0 So you partially close the shutters until it's back in the green.=A0 Ditto for a long descent, during which the engine will tend to cool off.

NOTE: Once you reach your cruising altitude there are a number of chores to do, adjusting the mixture control and oil temp to give you the best performance at the lowest rpm. These tasks are usually referred to as housekeeping. Once you've done the housekeeping, if you follow the 'official' airways, you can look forward to about three hours of boredom mixed with a few minutes of total terror, when your puddle-jumper is overtaken and passed by larger, heavier, faster airplanes, some of which think it's great fun to see how close they can come to your wing tip. However, with a GPS that fits in your shirt pocket you're no longer bound to the airways, allowing you to pick a route that takes advantage of the prevailing winds. But you'll probably do what most us puddle-jumper drivers do: simply follow the railroad track. :-)

Bob Hoover

Dear mr Hoover,

thank you for this info - I was wondering the same thing. It's amazing how you keep posting great articles despite your illness

Bas

Reply to
Bas

-----------

Dear Bas,

While Multiple Myeloma is incurable it IS treatable, meaning there's drugs out there that can kill the myeloma tumor. If you can kill the tumor -- or most of it -- and control the pain, you can still get around, so some work and so on. If you're rich that's no problem -- money buys you better health -- (Geraldine Ferraro was diagnosed with MM some years ago). But the Myeloma tumor is a trickster. Few drugs are 100% effective and the tumor builds up a tolerance for them... and starts growing again. So they try something else... or hit you with more radiation or whatever.

The record shows the tumor always wins. But you CAN make an effort to stave it off. Which is what I'm doing.

I took the trash down tonight, a major accomplishment, something I havent been able to do in about four months. It was damned hard to do but I did it. It will be easier next week.

As for the writing, what would you do if you had to sit on your ass eight or ten hours a day? I don't watch TV and I've read everything in the house. New books are too expensive and our library doesn't carry many of the authors I enjoy, plus you gotta get there & back. I can only stand up for about fifteen minutes at a time then the back starts to spasm (the tumor is in my lower back & spine - go to my blog and you can see the marks left by the x-ray). After 15min I gotta take a pain-killer and sit down. I can only do that about four times before the pain-killers stop working an I have to wait a couple of hours before I can take something more powerful.

So I write. If you write, you get a lot of mail; guys asking how to do something that I've done a zillion times. So I tell him how I did it. Which isn't always the way it sez in the manuals... which usually gets you some MORE mail :-)

The point here is that you shouldn't be amazed by the fact I'm still writing. If you were unlucky enough to be afflicted with cancer I'm sure you'd do much the same. I've got it. No sense in pretending I don't. But there's even less sense in letting it put me down like an old horse. And who knows Maybe they'll come up with a cure between now and Then.

-Bob

Reply to
Bob Hoover