hard starting

I have a 95 GMC Sierra 4x4 with the 350 motor and when I go to start it, it cranks fine, but it does not seem to fire right away. Maybe 4 to 5 seconds until it starts. I am thinking spark plugs? It has been a bit since I have changed them. Anything else to look at? Fuel flow is OK, ignition is fine

Reply to
My Own Little Universe

Has it always taken this long to start or has it gotten worse recently?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Re: hard starting Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sat, Jan 10, 2004, 5:12pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@nope.com (Doc) "My Own Little Universe" wrote in message news:YzSLb.69130$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com... I have a 95 GMC Sierra 4x4 with the 350 motor and when I go to start it, it cranks fine, but it does not seem to fire right away. Maybe 4 to 5 seconds until it starts. I am thinking spark plugs? It has been a bit since I have changed them. Anything else to look at? Fuel flow is OK, ignition is fine

Reply to
Steve Cook

Hi, Don't have a solution, but: My 95 GMC 4x4 350 normally doesn't like to start on the first switch application. Hit it a second time and it fires right off.

Lately it doesn't like to stay runn> I have a 95 GMC Sierra 4x4 with the 350 motor and when I go to start it, it

Reply to
Old Dog

Doc, Yep, started a little bit ago2 - 3 months . Warm weather or cold. only does it if it's been sitting for a while. OK if I am out for an hour or so.

Steve:

-Unknown about the fuel pressure

-Cap and rotor replaced almost 3 years ago

-gas consupmtion seems OK

-Not missing at idle. A tiny bit rough, but not bad

-Never had to change fuel pump, owned the truck for four years.

-fuel filter was changed beginning of last summer

Steve: This help?

Reply to
My Own Little Universe

Re: hard starting Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Jan 11, 2004, 3:00pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (My=A0Own=A0Little=A0Universe) Doc, Yep, started a little bit ago2 - 3 months . Warm weather or cold. only does it if it's been sitting for a while. OK if I am out for an hour or so. Steve:

-Unknown about the fuel pressure

-Cap and rotor replaced almost 3 years ago -gas consupmtion seems OK

ok need to pull your cap check for deposits..

3 yrs is a long time if you drive alot....Pull the vacuum line off of your fuel pressure regulator if it has fuel comming out of it its bad....Also how clean is your throttle body?Now what it might be is its taken too long for your fuel system to build up pressure..Need to find out what the pressure is on cold start(not cold weaher but after it sits for a while and cools completely down) then on a hot start..(after it has reached normal operating tempature).Most of the time when i get this engine and this complaint in its a dirty throttle body and a bad fuelpressure regulator.... Steve C
Reply to
Steve Cook

Steve: Thanks, will do I went out and got some AC Delco rapidfires and a new cap anyway. I will see about having the throttlebody scubbed out. Any suggestions on who or what to see do have it done? Is there a kit I can do it myself?

Re: hard starting

Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sun, Jan 11, 2004, 3:00pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (My Own Little Universe) Doc, Yep, started a little bit ago2 - 3 months . Warm weather or cold. only does it if it's been sitting for a while. OK if I am out for an hour or so. Steve:

-Unknown about the fuel pressure

-Cap and rotor replaced almost 3 years ago -gas consupmtion seems OK

ok need to pull your cap check for deposits..

3 yrs is a long time if you drive alot....Pull the vacuum line off of your fuel pressure regulator if it has fuel comming out of it its bad....Also how clean is your throttle body?Now what it might be is its taken too long for your fuel system to build up pressure..Need to find out what the pressure is on cold start(not cold weaher but after it sits for a while and cools completely down) then on a hot start..(after it has reached normal operating tempature).Most of the time when i get this engine and this complaint in its a dirty throttle body and a bad fuelpressure regulator.... Steve C
Reply to
Dixie Normous

-Unknown about the fuel pressure

-Cap and rotor replaced almost 3 years ago -gas consupmtion seems OK

Reply to
Steve Cook

OK, where is the fuel pressure regulator located. my Chilton's "Manual" says there is such a beast but does not show it. Kit at napa appears to be guts rather than a whole assembly.

Thanks Bob

Steve Cook wrote:

Reply to
Old Dog

take off your air cleaner. it is inbetween and behind the injectors.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Looking at the shape of the gaskets, I came up with the same conclusion. Replaced it this afternoon. Problem has disappeared.

Next project is replac> >

Reply to
Old Dog