Turn 76 Blazer 2wd, into a 4wd

Is a change such as this, a bolt-up, or does it require major modifications?

Reply to
chewy

Unless you are willing to spend thousands, for a front axle, driveshafts, transfer case, transmission, custom front mounts, front springs, factory hard to remove rear spring mounts or custom ones, steering components...sell it and but a 4x4! At least find a complete rolling 4x4 chassis with trans and t-case to swap your body onto.

Reply to
Shades

Actually it is not that bad to do "IF" you can find a 1/2 ton truck donor chassis to get the parts from. If you do it is quite doable. If you have to get it pieces at a time, it would not be worth the expense or effort.

Reply to
SnoMan

I have a complete 79 blazer, less motor. Location is northern Mn if this would help

Reply to
Digit

========= =========

ooooooo.........

burrrrr......

~:~ MarshMonster Pensacola FL ~has to go outside and cut his grass....better git my shorts on~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

. . ======= ======= chewy wrote: Is a change such as this, a bolt-up, or does it require major modifications?

=========== ===========

You have not posted my answer as an option. . Therefore, being anal as i am, i must regretfully defer to others who are willing to accept the narrow confines of your question as posted.

~:~ MarshMonster ~pours a weee bit more crownroyal in his coffee.....mmm...that's some good stuff~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

The trans hump would have to be swapped from the 4x4 to the 2wd body, but other than that, it is 90% direct bolt on.

Reply to
Shades

Don't forget the front X-Member. It ain't no picnic to change and most you find will be cracked.

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

What crossmember? I have put 2wd bodies onto 4x4 chassis more than a few times and there was no crossmember to be swapped.

There is nothing from the 2wd chassis that will be used on the 4x4 chassis.

Reply to
Shades

Scuse me. This thread changed and I didn't pay attention. Now it has become make 2 into 1 and the spare parts are all 2 wheel drive.

Anyway, it is a whole lot of work for nothing. Have fun :)

By the way, my money is still on the front X-Member of the 4X4 chassis being cracked on the passenger side.

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Never seen it with the many hundreds of solid axle Chevy's I've been under ...or even heard of it. Is it something you've experienced or heard about?

Reply to
Shades

The '82 shortbox we are working on needed the X-Member welded. I had a '79 Bronco and burned the frame so I could take the X-Member out for a spare and it turned out to be cracked in the very same places. Went to the local Pick your Part and looked at another and it was in the same shape. Asked around and it is common and to be expected. ALL are solid axle.

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

What part of the country do you live in?

Reply to
Shades

Northwestern Ontario, about 35 miles West by Southwest from Thunder Bay in a little hamlet called Nolalu, Ontario. Got one of those cracked X-Members in the basement right now.

OK, took the camera downstairs and wire brushed the area with the crack. This one is not very bad. The one on our '82 was almost cracked right across.

Leaned it against the leg of my engine stand to get the light to hit it right.

You can see it here:

It sure is easier to get at without the engine or with it removed from the frame. This one will get welded and also will have extra metal added to each outer edge if I don't opt to make one outright.

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Very interesting...

That's the drivers side, right? Have you come across cracks on both sides? Is it always in the same area or does the location vary?

Reply to
Shades

That is what puzzles me. Every time it has been the passenger side.

This is one place I would look before buying a truck. Around here mechanics are nervous about granting a Safety Check when the frame or the X-Members have been repaired by welding.

Anyway, it is something to consider and it is best repaired when someone is doing a swap like this thread is concerned with. On our '82 I used a panel cutter like a grinder to smooth some grapes (real bad welding) from the area and to vee out the cracks. Jacked the MIG up to double the speed and made a nice overhead weld repair. Next, I ground the area smooth and hope like hell the mechanic misses it. A coat of asphalt undercoating on the frame and the X-Member should help keep things from scrutiny :)

After it is on the road I can make a new X-Member and nobody will be any the wiser.

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl