Update: Noisy Lifters after oil change

Recap:

88' C1500, 305 TBI, TH400, 170,XXX miles.

Lifters were noisy as all hell the first 5 or so cold starts after an oil change. Lifter noise would only go away if the truck was physically shut off and then restarted. After the first 5 starts lifters were perfectly quiet. The issue presented itself only after switching from Mobil 1 to AC Delco oil filters.

Update:

Changed the oil a few days back and used a Purolator PureOne filter. Absolutely ZERO lifter noise after the first two cold starts. So, what I have is a GMC that doesn't like Delco filters..................he he he he.

Thought those who responded to the OP might be interested....................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Interesting, Doc. Glad you found the culprit. I've got a question for you. I bought a "new" '04 Sierra. Should I wait until the 1st oil change to put Mobil 1 in her, or go ahead and do it now. She's got just over 1000 miles on her.

Cheers, Kyle

Reply to
KB

Well you cant change it BEFORE the first oil change. Think about it. Kinda like something is always in the last place you look for it, because you stop looking fo it once you've found it. BTW, you'll love it. Mine's got 26K on it and it runs like a bat outa hell. Had a few relatively minot problems. Driver's mirror heat (twice) replaced mirror both times, now the left mirror heat is inop. Radio goes dead for seemingly no reason (pull the fuse fixes it), replaced the radio. Still goes dead, but now I can reset it by turning it off then back on. All on warranty of course.

KenG

KB wrote:

Reply to
KENG

thanks for askin that kyle i too just bought a 04 sierra and am thinkin of the switch.

Reply to
Charles H.

I had a feeling the problem would go away after the oil filter swap. Just because you said it wasn't there before, and your reputation of being quite mechanically savvy. But that is strange, I've had problems with "ONE" oil filter but after changing it even with the exact brand the problem went away.

Very strange, but glad you aren't clattering.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Maybe next time:

Doc should use Motorcrap filters!

They're made by Wix.

LOL

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish_King1

A few thousand miles isn't going to make much of a difference either way, so in the interests of your wallet I'd just wait until she's due for a change and switch over then.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

It is weird as hell eh? Has me scratching my head............... I too have bought "bad" filters on occasion, but after replacing with the EXACT same filter the problems subside. This was 3 or 4 (can't remember exactly) filters bought at different times at different places. I cut the Delco filter open after the change and couldn't see anything physically wrong with it.

Oh well, The P1 filters are 1/2 the price of the M1 filters and have about the same single pass and multi pass numbers, so looks like I'll stick with em'.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

glad to hear that it's ok now, Doc..

Now for the real research, you should try another deHellco filter and see if the lifters make noise again...

Reply to
mac davis

I'd bet 50 bucks they would, as it did it for 3 or 4 oil and filter changes. Not a single peep from them after changing with the Purolator PureOne. Odd....................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc wonder if you got some counterfeit ACD filters. This link has a discussion & information on the issue.

DonW

Now isn't that interesting? Nothing is sacred at all.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Well I'll be damned! I wonder if that was it? It would make a helluva lot of sense. I'm going to go investigating on my lunch break tomorrow and see what I can dig up!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Went into Advance today, ,and saw what is being described here. Started a new post to ask if anyone else has seen it.

Reply to
Eightupman

Never have seen any of the Mexican made AC's but have heard of it. Hell they can't be any worse than Allied-Signal's finest. ;-)

I don't go to AutoZone or Advance anymore, as I am so sick of the BS that you get out of these places. And their quality is pretty sub-standard IMO. I'll go to NAPA, Bumper-To-Bumper or Jopac if I need anything. They are more knowlegable and the parts quality is much better. As far as I know, the Wix/Napa Gold filters are still made in USA by good ol' Dana.

-Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell