Whaddya guys think?

Fellas,

It's happened three times in a row so I know it wasn't just a fluke. I recently switched from using M1 oil filters to AC Delco oil filters in my truck. After every oil change, for the first 5 or so cold starts, I get horrendous lifter noise. The lifters won't shut up until I shut the truck off, then restart. On restart it's nice and quiet. Oil pressure in either instance is 60 psi. After the first 5 or so cold starts with all the bloody racket, all is back to normal until the next oil change.

This never happened with M1 filters which I've been using for the past 5 years or so on this truck.

Any thoughts??

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

It sounds like you've got some bad lifters. I doubt if it has anything to do with the filters. I sometimes let my truck sit and drain overnight with no plug or filter and I never have lifter noise the next day after I button it back up. OTOH, I can't explain why changing the oil and filter would start the cycle all over again. I would probably stick another M1 filter on it hoping the problem would go away. H

Reply to
Hairy

BushBushBush

I wouldn't 'think' the oil filter would cause this but it would be real easy to put a M1 filter back on and see if the lifter noise goes away.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Make sure you have the correct delco filter. Some filters were made with an anti-drainback valve built in. This keeps the oil system from losing prime and draining back into the pan overnight. The noise you may be hearing is the engine operating hydraulic lifters with no oil pressure due to the fact that it spends time priming the system up again instead of supplying oil to the lifters right away. Its worth looking into. I don't know what engine or truck you have and I don't know part numbers off hand.

Reply to
Jay

Almost sounds like the oil filters bypass isn't opening until after the restart, but why? And that after several of these occurrences the bypass is maybe staying open or is now opening normal. Did you buy these filters all at the same time and have them on hand? Possibly they are defective. I've used AC Delco filters with out any problems in the past. Buy I've since gone back to WIX filters which I feel is a much better filter.

Doc, I used to cut oil filters apart after my oil changes to see how the filter was actually assembled. Most all filters that I've seen the inside of use a piece of spring steel for the bypass spring. At a high oil pressure the spring should be over come and open the bypass. The WIX filler and probably other high end filters use a spring similar to a valve spring, of course the spring is much lighter.

I highly recommend WIX filters I don't think you could go wrong. I'd be interested to know if changing the filter brand again stops the problem.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

I was going to make the point you expressed:

It's called cavitation, and the oil will take the path of least resistance. The lifters are known as: "Mini Oil Filters" so they will act as restrictors and take longer to be supplied with oil. There is no drain back valve in the filter, causing first start cavitation.

Refinish King

PS Funny thing is that, both the M1 and the AC-Delco dealer level filters are Wix filters. The mass merchandised AC-Delco is the Wix second line PowerTec. That's how Wally World can sell them so cheap. GM Licenses the name to the secondary line too, because we all know: "There are no real manufacturer's specifactions"

Reply to
Refinish_King1

Wix makes at least two grades of filters:

They make the Wix, the PowerTec, they make the NAPA Gold, and the NAPA Silver.

So they make both a first and second line for the private labels also. Just like Facett did when they made hundreds of private lines of filters other than purolator and Mighty. When you cut them apart, the Purolator and the Mighty element were so thisk that it looked like balsa wood.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish_King1

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:27:26 -0400, "\"Doc\"" put forth the notion that...

Put some JB shorties on it and a set of glass packs, and you won't even hear that annoying lifter noise.

Reply to
Checkmate

Hey Doc... Denny might have a good point there.. (1st time for everything, right?) If it never happened with mobile one filters, try putting one on.. If putting the M1 filter on makes the problem go away, who really cares WHY it was doing it, as long as it quit.. YMMV

Reply to
mac davis

I don't know about the dealer filters, but over the counter AC-Delco filters are made by Champion labs (as well as the Super-Tech brand filters that Wal-Mart sells). They are pretty good filters in my opinion. Of course, when you compare it to a Fram, ANYTHING looks good.

Napa Gold filters are made by Wix... other than that there are no brands that I know of that Wix contracts with. Like I said, I don't know about dealer level filters, they may be Wix. But at any rate, Wix is one of the best filters out there. All my vehicles get Wix filters.

M1 filters are just too grossly overpriced for me to even bother with them. I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $10-11 for a damn oil filter. Especially since all the test data I've ever seen puts Wix and M1 at about the same level for filtering efficiency... and the Wix costs less than half as much.

-Tony

Reply to
Tony Kimmell

So what happens when you revert back to the originial oil filter?

I've used A/C filers on all the GM products I've ever owned and to my knowledge always have had good service from them.

This >Fellas,

Reply to
Elbert

Exactly my thoughts. If it was a bad lifter, I'd expect the racket every cold start, not just the first few cold starts after an oil and filter change.

I intend to, but it still doesn't satisfy my curiosity.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

No shit, but I want to know why this is happening with the AC filters. Though someone else out there might have had a similar experience.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

If this were the case, I'd have the lifter noise every single cold start, not just the first few after an oil change. It is the correct filter.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Finally someone with a decent notion! These were all bought at different times, different stores.

Might just be the cheaper filter has a stiffer spring and needs a few duty cycles to break in eh?

Yeah me too, she's due in a week or so and I'll switch then.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Cool, keep us posted.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Glass Packs? No one uses those anymore! This isn`t 1980!

Reply to
Bill

I think it`s just a coincidence.Lifters are probably bad,or something else. I`d still try the easy fix and swap filters. Let us all know what you find out.

Reply to
Bill

Doc , You still have not told us what kind of truck this is . So somebody can maybe identify the complant. also likt to know what engine.

Reply to
zonie