What diesel motor will fit

what diesel motor will fit in my 92 full size blazer.

Reply to
mudmonkey

How much do you want to spend?

Reply to
Trey

just curios what will fit, have big plans for the vehicle. would love to save up for a diesel conversion, its got a 5.7l in it now

Reply to
mudmonkey

well a 6.2 , 6.5NA or 6.5TD should fit with the smallest effort, as they were used in this generation of tahoe/burb/ pickup. you could probably get a Cummins 12V B5.9 in there with a body lift and some sawzall work. the 12V is a good choice as the wiring is incredibly simple... two hot wires. the rest just take more time and cost more. hell if you really wanted to, you could probably stuff a Cat C12 in there.

hth, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Do you happen to know if the blazer shares its platform with the suburban? The weight difference between the 5.7 and any Diesel would be pretty great. If its the same platform as the suburban, I would think the older Chevy Diesel would bolt in with some nice massaging, Not to mention susspention mods. Now that I think about it. I remember seeing a blazer with a Diesel before, I think it was an old Military Surplus. Ah yes! here we go. "6.2 diesel blazer 1984 (M1009 Military Version)." a little digging on

will bring up a bunch of stuff. just look for "crate Diesel engine blazer" or just Diesel Blazer. They are out there.

Reply to
Trey

its a short wheelbase so no on the suburban, maybe same platform as a shortbox reg. cab. i wouldnt mind a cummings, good strong motors, to bad there in dodges. would love to see gm get some in there trucks. although the duramax is nice

Reply to
mudmonkey

That Cummins is a beast of a Diesel. Pretty much Bullet proof, Cant say the same for most the transmissions that have been put behind them! The Duramax is nice, but I prefer teh inline 6 configuration for pulling. I would LOVE an inline-eight, but I dont have a four foot hood to work with.

Reply to
Trey

the cummings is easy to get ahold of as well, lots of parts, whats wrong with the trany's, id preferr an auto with my bad knees

Reply to
mudmonkey

the autos that chrysler sticks behind the cummins tend to live a short life. we've got a '96 at work that is on the 3rd transmission that *we* put in it (picked it up for a song from a subcontractor we use alot) since 2000. if you're going to get a cummins, get the manual tranny.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Don't count too heavily on the Cummins 5.9. While it is an excellent motor, it's heavy - and if you're in a half-ton truck you will need to beef up the suspension to handle it. It was only available in 3/4-ton and larger trucks. What you gain in simplicity in wiring, you lose in complexity in the installation with all the body and suspension work, not to mention what you will have to do for the tranny.

If you have the rounded-style body (as opposed to the older square-style, I don't remember when Chevy changed the full-sized Blazers and Suburbans) then the GM 6.5L turbo diesel was available in this body style in a half-ton version (actually beginning in '93) so the installation would be much easier. Unfortunately, the 6.5L is a drive-by-wire with no throttle cables so you will need to replace the gas pedal and wiring harness as well as switch over the ECM and other electronics. If you want to avoid the electronics, you could bolt up an older mechanical fuel injection pump that uses throttle cables to a newer 6.5L motor (which had an electronic FI pump). Your other option is a 6.2 normally aspirated diesel which should bolt right in with the least trouble, but it's going to be the weakest of all the motors mentioned without serious mods.

There's nothing worse than getting half-way thru a major project like this and continually finding out you need "one more piece" several times before you finish. The only suggestion as to a gas-to-diesel conversion I can make is find yourself a "donor truck" with the motor, etc. that you want that is the same body configuration as your current truck, then just transplant everything from the donor to your truck right down to the motor mounts and gas tank and vice versa. At that point, sell the donor to recoup a few bucks. It's the most straight-forward conversion process you will get. But with a '92 you are going to have to start asking yourself which is easier and worth your time and money - converting your current truck, or selling it and buying a diesel version of that generation. Since GM diesels of that generation didn't hold their value all that well, you just might do better with a sell-and-buy.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

i'm pretty sure a 2-cylinder kubota will drop right in smart-ass

Reply to
Mad Dog

thanks for the information. i love the body styles of this model chevy, both the blazer and trucks. much more then the new body styles. so it may be worth my wild to put some $$ into getting it the way I want it.

Reply to
mudmonkey

Another reference readily available is eBay. Just insert the words 'blazer' and 'diesel' and you'll find various complete vehicles for sale as well as engines and other components that show various years the 6.2L was utilized.

The M1009 also goes by the military code of "CUCV".

Reply to
Hoodoo

would rather have a 6.5 or newer, from what i understand the 6.2 reliable as it probaly is, would not be prefered, my 350 is probaly just as good or better

Reply to
mudmonkey

The early 6.2 were actually built by Detroit Diesel. Around 84 Chevy took over the assembly line. They changed the fuel filters and the rocker arm assemblies. The 6.2 is a dog performance wise, but they get great gas mileage. I had an 82 K1500, stick with overdrive that would get 28 on the highway. Not bad for a 4X4. Had about as much power as a six cylinder. Only problem I had with it was it broke a lifter and of course the fuel pump died. Ford and Chevy had problems with the rubber damper used to cushion the pump drive. Diesel fuel would eat it up and the bypass would stop up with rubber. They came up with a better design on the damper later on.

Al

Reply to
Big Al