what vehicles will a 225 slant 6 from a 1974 dart fit in?

I have a rebuilt 225 slant 6 with a 904 torqflight tranny...they came out of a 1974 Dart Swinger.

What are my options?

What other vehicles (years & models) will that engine fit into?

Has anyone put that engine and tranny in a Dakota truck or Jeep Wrangler?

I want to know my options when searching the auto classifieds!

Reply to
hunt4grouse

My '65 Polara had a slant-6 with 904.

'77 Volare's also had slant-6 with 904.

Reply to
MoPar Man

My '63 Plymouth Valiant had that engine, but I don't know about the transmission as mine had three speed manual on the column.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

IT IS NOT going to be smog legal unless you put it in another 60's/70's vehicle

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Thank you for your responses to my posting!

Reply to
hunt4grouse

The engine will fit and work correctly in any 1960-1987 Chrysler-product car or truck originally equipped with a slant-6 engine. Earlier- or later-model carburetion and/or ignition and/or emission devices may need to be used to maintain emissions compliance and physical compatibility, depending on the vehicle model and year and your local emission regulations. The engine can be installed in front of a 1960-1967 automatic transmission if a 1/8" annular adaptor ring is installed in the crankshaft's rear counterbore; everything will fit together without the adaptor ring, but trans front seals and bushings will wear out fast. 1967 and earlier applications need to use the oil pan and pickup tube correct for the vehicle, rather than the 1974 items, for physical fit reasons. The engine can be installed in a vehicle with a manual transmission, but check to make sure the crankshaft is finish-drilled for the necessary pilot bushing (some engines originally used with automatics are not so drilled). The engine and transmission can also be installed in a 1964-1966 A-body (Dart, Valiant, Barracuda) originally equipped with a V8 engine, as long as the Slant-6 engine mounts and '62-'66 oil pan and pickup are used. This swap, replacing a V8, cannot be done in 1967-up A-bodies without also installing a Slant-6 K-frame.

The transmission is a direct swap into any 1968 or later vehicle equipped with a slant-6 engine and A904 automatic. It cannot be used behind a 1967 or earlier slant-6 engine, because the early engines have a smaller crankshaft counterbore that will not accommodate the 1968-up torque converter nose, and the early converter doesn't fit the late transmission without extensive transmission modifications.

Won't work and will violate Federal emissions regulations.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern