what goes into a good tune up?

1991 K1500 with rebuilt 305 (40,000 km on it). what would you say are good, simple tuneup items?

  1. plugs and wires (duh)

  1. cap and rotor (again, duh)
  2. fuel filter?
  3. PCV valve?
  4. anything else?

its getting to be that time...

Hamilton Audio

for a "good" tune-up, take what you've already got listed, add to that: O2 sensor, Air filter, and oil change/lube job.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

I'm apparently under the false impression that o2 sensors should last more than a years driving!! are they that common of an item to be replacing??

agreed...but lube/oil chg was just done, and I just cleaned the K+N so we can remove those two....

looks like I'm gonna need some cash!

Hamilton Audio

On a healthy engine, 02 sensors typically last 75,000 miles before your mileage starts to drop as a result of the sensor nearing the end of it's life. Leave it be.

A few items to consider:

1) ATF + Filter if it's been in there longer than 15k 2) Differential (Front and Rear) if it's been in there longer than 30k (although I stick to 15k intervals) 3) Transfer case lube if it's been in there longer than 30k. 4) Coolant drain + t-stat + rad. cap if older than 30k. 5) Chevron Techron Feul Injector cleaner (repeat every 3-6k miles).

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

wow! seems like a lot of stuff to do in such a relatively short period of time!! I'm assuming you're talking about miles (I'm thinking km)

  1. done right after the engine rebuild
  2. have not touched the diff juice ever...something to consider
  3. new coolant and radflushed and fresh tstat at rebuild
  4. I've not seen the Chevron stuff in canada...

thanks for the tips!

replacing??

Reply to
Hamilton Audio

B,

I was talking miles, sorry for the confusion. My folks live in Canada (I'm in Ohio) and you're right, you can't get Techron up there. A good alternate that is available up there is Valvoline FI cleaner which can be had at Canadian Tire or NAPA stores.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Not even at Car Quest? Just a thought...great product.

Bush

Reply to
Bush

I didn't really see the valvoline product on the shelf, tho I saw the spot for it...so I bought the product right next to it...Motomaster Elite FI cleaner...same price, same shelf. both advertised full synthetic blend...so I bought two jugs. running one right now.

did an actual conversion of all the numbers, and here's what I've got:

I got used to getting about 150 km from $20 in the tank before I lost the needle and got worried about running out. Then I noticed I got to that point at about 120 to 130 km on the same $20.

-- at 0.82 cents a litre, and driving 130 km, that works out to 12.55 mpg.

-- at 0.77 cents a litre, and driving 150 km, that works out to 13.58 mpg.

so two factors here...one, the last fill I did that I squeezed over 150 km off a tank was also at a cheaper gas price (it jumped right up the next day)...so that accounts for most of it. however, is a sway of over 1 mpg on the same run daily something to worry about? oh, and I just realized the truck needs a wheel alignment...could that hurt?

Hamilton Audio

B,

Your method calculating gas mileage is TERRIBLE! Your gas mileage is likely staying the same, your method is terribly flawed. I mean terribly, it's awful (you get my point).

Here's how to do it:

1) Fill it up to FULL (first stop, do NOT top up). 2) Reset trip. 3) Drive until 1/2 tank or less. 4) Fill it up to full (first stop) at the SAME PUMP you filled it up on step #1. 5) Divide km's on trip meter by liters of gas you just fed her. THIS is your accurrate km per liter number. 6) Reset trip and do it all over again.

This is the only way to get an accurrate reading on mileage your vehicle is getting. And to answer your question, yes, mileage can vary by up to 10%, same daily trip. I range between 14.6 and 16.3 mpg in my truck, same trip every stinkin day. Temperature, wind speed, humidity, A/C, etc. all affect fuel economy.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"