tune up

Hi...

I believe my 57000 mileage, 1991 F250 460 gas engine needs tune up.

Can I tune it up myself as I understood it's not much like the older ones. What do I need to do to tune up beside putting in the new spark plugs?

Many Thanks in Advance..

Reply to
askme

I just did one on my 89 F250 460 at 159000 miles. I changed the air filter (installed a K&N) PCV filter, plugs, wires (needed on mine), fuel filter, cap and rotor. You might want to check the transmition fluid as well.

Jimmy

Reply to
James Gillespie

Hi Jimmy,

Hmm, K & N, sound interested. I didn't know until you brought it up. I did some researching online about them today, maybe I should install on my truck as well.

I need to get the book to show me the location of the fuel filter. I wonder if there is a nice one on the website showing the location of engine parts?

Thank you and the other who replied to my orginial post. Now I know what I am going to do this weekend.

Oh one more, Jimmy, Is there a brand of the wires you think I should look at?

Thanks, Ted

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Gillespie" Newsgroups: alt.trucks.ford Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 7:25 AM Subject: Re: tune up

Reply to
askme

Do you see the improvement with the Platinum plugs? I assume you installed new wires, too.

Ted

Reply to
askme

I don't think I can say improvement, but, the previous set of Platinum plugs had 130,000 miles on them. I think all you gain is many more miles between plug replacement.

: > Excellent. I just did the same on my Bronco with 173,000 miles. I used : > Platinum plugs. : >

: :

Reply to
Mellowed

The fuel filter on my '92 Bronco is on the inside of the left frame in front of the gas tank. It is cylindrical, about 3" dia and about 3-4" long. It mounts to a clip that is secured to the frame. It is an easy and quick replacement.

: > Jimmy : >

: > > I believe my 57000 mileage, 1991 F250 460 gas engine needs tune up. : > >

: > > Can I tune it up myself as I understood it's not much like the older : ones. : > > What do I need to do to tune up beside putting in the new spark plugs? : > >

: > > Many Thanks in Advance.. : :

Reply to
Mellowed

The fuel filter is under the drives feet and is mounted with a hose clamp and is easily changed.like previously mentioned. find the fuel shut-off switch and either activate it or unplug it and start the truck. this will relieve fuel pressure and make the job easier.

Regarding the K & N filter it filters only marginally less than the paper filter and has slightly better air flow. I know lots of guys that use them on street rods and trucks with plenty of miles on them.

Jimmy

Reply to
James Gillespie