What is a tranfer case and what does it do?

Shop told me that my tranfer is leaking.

I am under the impression that the tranfer case has something to do with 4 wheel drive.

If I let this leak go will there be damage to my Blazer or just damage to the 4 wheel drive system?

Reply to
Duck

eventually the transfer case will run out of fluid and there will be a really loud bang and parts lying on the ground when it siezes. power is always transmitted through the xfer case to the rear wheels, if you don't fix the leak, you still need to keep an eye on the ATF level in the case.

-Bret

and yes, the xfer case divides power to the front and rear driveshafts when in 4hi or lo, or to just the rear shaft in 2 hi.

Reply to
Bret Chase

Thanks Bret You are saying that I need to get the leak fixed in order to drive the Blazer in 2 wheel drive? We hardly ever use the 4 wheel drive and thought the tranfer case would not affect the 2 whell drive system.

Reply to
Duck

Basically the transfer case transfers power to the front rear wheels. It is considered to be part of the transmission. Depending on there the leak is you may be losing transmission fluid. I'd fix it or get it fixed.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

IME you have 2 choices: a seal now, or $1,500 later...

Reply to
lbrty4us

------- Shop told me that my tranfer is leaking.

(what shop?)

------- I am under the impression that the tranfer case has something to do with

4 wheel drive.

(you are correct)

-------- If I let this leak go will there be damage to my Blazer or just damage to the 4 wheel drive system?

(the 4wd system is part of your Blazer)

(was that a trick question???)

============= ============= Donald, what did the shop say was leaking? How much to fix it? How bad is it leaking? Did they say how low the fluid level was? What kind of vehical is it?

Special Notes 4-U:

1) A couple of the leak points can be fixed with the unit in the truck, and are fairly inexpensive repairs. Simple seal replacement.

2) You should NOT have fluid loss between the case halfs of the tranny and the t-case on most newer trucks. If you do....chances are that the leak is from the trans and not the t-case.

3) #2 is not so expensive to fix either.

4) Get a second opinion ....ALWAYS!! and........get it from a tranny shop.

5) In the last 7 months........ I've plugged leaks in driveshaft yokes on 2 different trucks............ after a general mechanic had charged them for stopping a leak on a transfer case. (get a second opinion)

6) A transferr case IS a transmission. (want to know what a transmission is?)

~:~ MarshMonster ~always remember.....and never forget........ tranny fluid don't leak uphill~ ====================== ======================

Reply to
Marsh Monster

yes that's what I'm saying, or you can just keep an eye on the ATF level in the case and top up as necessary. if you don't, the xfer case will fail and you'll not have power available to any wheels.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase