AX-15 transmission case does not separate

I am trying to disassemble a 2WD AX-15 to rebuild it, but have ran into a problem where I cannot separate the transmission housing from the intermediate plate. When I did this on another tranny, the plate came off just fine after a little prying and some hits from a deadblow hammer. With this one, though, it separates only a few millimeters and then stops hard. The only thing I can think of is maybe the output shaft is somehow out of kilter, and preventing the case from moving? Of course, I am not an expert and the problem is likely something completely different. I wanted to hear if anyone else out there ran into a similar problem? Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Reply to
crsmith11

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Thanks Bill, that scan is exactly the shop manual I've been following. I have followed all steps faithfully, and have reached a dead stop at figure 35, page 10 of 37. I agree that there are some odd things going on, but maybe they just seem strange to me since until today I have also not had a transmission apart. What it is hanging up on is a mystery to me, and not being able to see inside the case makes it doubly frustrating.

As a side note, if I ever do get this case off, it looks like I'll need a good snap ring tool. The one at Autozone is puny, does anyone out there know a good place to get something a little beefier for this job?

Thanks aga> I can see a couple of shift interlocks, that may be access from the

Reply to
crsmith11

Reply to
RoyJ