wheel bearings

WHILE DRIVING ABOUT 70MPH I THOUGHT I GOT A FLAT TIRE. AFTER PULLING OVER AND REALISEING IT WASNT, I CONTINUED ON MY WAY.AFTER REACHING ABOUT 50MPH IT FELT LIKE I WAS GETTING A FLAT AGAIN. WHEN I PULLED OFF THE ROAD IT FELT LIKE THE TIRE WAS GOING TO FALL OFF.SOME ONE PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISNT A 500.00 BEARING JOB.

Reply to
barbc123

You want us to tell you what's wrong with your vehicle instead of you pulling the tire off and looking at it yourself? Well, from 394 million miles away, I can clearly see your cannibiling pin is bent. You need to go to the dealer and ask for the pin removal tool and reamer. Then buy a new pin .030 over sized. Don't go any larger without sleeving the wheel durraple. If you do, then make sure it's stainless uranium.

Reply to
Jim Smith

$1500 bearing Job!

. >
Reply to
no one

Did you check your lug nuts?

Reply to
Shades

If we knew what car or truck than we could tell for sure, but anyways, in general yeah I would say its a wheel bearing.

Reply to
Adam

THANKS JIM BY THE WAY IM A GIRL AND CANT EVEN GET THE LUG NUTS OFF LET A LONE THE TIRE.I APPRICIATE YOUR ADVICE FROM 394 MILLION MILES AWAY.WHERE DO U LIVE (MARS?)

Reply to
barbc123

Men are from Mars!!!! At least that's what the book says.

BTW, you're welcome.

Reply to
Jim Smith

Please provide additional details about your vehicle. Year, Model, etc...... some people assume all the posters know the "rules" their first time around.

Any further information would be helpful for those of use who just have what's in print to try and help you.

Needless to say some people in the group are a little abrupt...

Thanks, Elbert

Reply to
Elbert

thanks elbert, i have a 1986 chevy blazer 4 wheel drive

Reply to
barbc123

I would have your tires rotated first to rule those out.

Reply to
John Manner

By your reply to JS about you being a Girl and being unable to remove the lug nuts, I assume that to mean you are light weight(not said in an offensive or demeaning way)?

Where are you located at? Is there a local shop that would be willing to help with little or no charge? Have you checked the lug nuts to see if they are tight? You should be able to look and tell if they are lose.

Maybe if you have a 'heavier Friend' you could ask for some assistance in diagnosing.

$500 seems a bit steep for a bearing job. Price hunt for what you need done and make sure you get good inexpensive work...not just cheap work.

Reply to
Shades

I Changed the Front Bearing on my 89 s-10 4X4 and it took me 1 hour and $20.00 For the Bearing at an Auto salvage Yard ! Remove the tire Remove the Brake Caliper and shoes and rotor Remove the Large NUT

Remove 3 Bolts that go thru the Back on the SPINDLE

Reverse order to assemble

Reply to
no one

The 'girl' excuse does not hold water with me. I know women who do everything including rebuild engines. One of them is only 4 foot 5 inches tall, and only weights in at 80 pounds.

Heck my Ex who is 5'7, 155 pounds with a 40F chest, is a cirtified welder. She has rebuilt harley davisons, as well as made custom chopper frames for them.

Now if you have never learned how to remove a tire, or check your oil. It's time that you did. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Everyone is diferent and cant be expected to meet the standards of others.

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
KENG

What I was saying is why would anyone ask a group of people over the internet to diagnose what's wrong with their car or truck? Why would you not take it somewhere if you were unable to check yourself? She could have 4 loose lug nuts and we'd never know that. She could have a cracked rotor and we'd never know that. She could have a loose or broken tie rod end and we'd never know that. You name it, she could have almost anything wrong and we'd never know that. Telling her to try this or that is not the responsible thing to do. Check it out yourself or take it somewhere to have it checked out. What she was describing could be a serious matter and we're telling her to balance her tires.

Okay, so she can't or won't check it out herself and looking for help. Find someone that can look at the front end and give an intellectual opinion on what repairs need to be made. Leave the internet to simple, less life threatening things. Ask me my opinion on which tire you should purchase, ask me if metallic or semi metallic pads are best for your vehicle. You can even ask me what weight oil to use, but don't ask me to diagnose a potential catastrophic failure of your front end and its parts.

Climbing down from my soapbox, Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

what you describe is most likely best looked at first hand by someone locally. It sounds to me as if you may have a tire problem but without seeing the truck first hand its really going to be hard for anyone here to tell you something factually.

IF you don't know anyone where you live that you trust as far as a mechanic or tire shop....ask around among your friends. You may have a bad tire? Assuming nothing is wrong otherwise.

Some problems are somewhat easy to discuss / debate or diagnose "on-line", I don't think this is one of those.

Ask around your local area is there is someone you can trust that will look at the truck for you.

Elbert

Reply to
Elbert

My point is: Gender as a excuse for in-ability is BS. Psychial Limitations on the other hand are a different matter. But the OP said she couldn't because she's a 'girl', not because she is psychially limited. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

And you automatically attack her and accuse her of being full of shit. Do you know how She was raised? Do you know her abilities? Do you know her in the slightest bit?

Who are you to judge what She can or cant do because of what some of the Females you know are able to do? My Sister is an awesome mechanic, horse rider, and driver, one of my other Sisters is awesome at volleyball and Taekwondo. They have the same parents, same upbringing...they are not the same person so they have different abilities.

If you know barbc personally and know her claim of being a mechanically inept Girl is BS, then yes, point it out. Otherwise, please don't attack a complete stranger because of your gender, abilities, beliefs, or upbringing.

Thanx...

Reply to
Shades

Inline:

Nope not at all. Any female who hides behind the excuse that there a female, and can not check to see if lug nuts are tight is full of BS. Now I could see my Mom not being able to check the torque on lug nuts since she is either in a wheel chair or uses a walker. 20 years ago she could.

I know girls who don't know crap about cars. Yet for the most part they have learned how to check the fluids, put air in the tires, and to change a tire. If you are psychially capible of doing so, there is no excuse for operating a motor vehicle with out knowing how to change a tire. Let alone not being able to check your fluids.

She posted: THANKS JIM BY THE WAY IM A GIRL AND CANT EVEN GET THE LUG NUTS OFF LET A LONE THE TIRE.I APPRICIATE YOUR ADVICE FROM 394 MILLION MILES AWAY.WHERE DO U LIVE (MARS?)

That sounds like an excuse to me. I have worked with people that pull that sort of crud. I don't buy it for one second. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig