Wheelin in an 87-91 full size Blazer

Anyone do any serious wheelin in a full size blazer? I am contemplating getting either a Jeep TJ for serious offroading or an 87-91 full size Blazer with the front axle. I don't want to kick the crap out of my 98 Z71 anymore.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Blair

Reply to
Blair

Can't go wrong with either one...although I would personally get the jeep

------------------------------------ Mike Mangione

xblazinlv

Both are pretty capable, but it depends on what you want to do. I'd love to go buy a new Rubicon, the departure angles on a stock Jeep are pretty hard to beat. The problem for me is that it won't hold enough stuff. Once I get my 2dr. Yukon all loaded up with my girl, our stuff, our 2 dogs, extra gas/water, etc.. my truck is pretty full. Plus when it's somewhat empty there is enough room to get out of the elements - there have been times when the ground is wet and I didn't feel like setting up my tent, so I just slept in the truck. Can't do that with a Rubicon.

I had (have actually, it's sitting at my Dad's place rusting away) an

85 full size Jimmy with 33" tires on it. Man I loved that truck, but the body just got too rusty to keep driving it. My choice is the full size truck - better handling in the wind and on ice, can haul a good size trailer, enough power to go through mud effortlessly, tons of off-road potential, and you'll probably win when it comes to most accidents.

Of course all of this is my opinion... and nobody can deny that both choices are very capable. Just depends on what you're planning to do with it.

SuperDave

Reply to
SuperDave

I was driving my '84 K5 with mild 31 inch A/T's, a 305(with a junk carb), open diffs, and stock suspension and went everywhere my Friends Jeep TJ with aggressive 33's, 4inch lift, 4cyl, and 5spd could go, and pulled him out more than a few times.

I am allot more experienced off-roader than him. If we were doing tight trails, steep approaches/departures...the TJ would have done better than me. My stock K5 had more suspension travel than his lifted TJ(it was equipped with sway-bar disconnects and special trailing arms for added flex).

Like the previous posters stated, it depends on the type of wheeling you plan on doing.

Another consideration...a K5 can typically be had for less and upgrades cost less than a TJ/YJ. Jeeps have ALLOT more bolt on accessories available, but most are more form than function.

Look at it this way, more room, mostly removable top, already has a V8(can handle a Big Block), is mild with 33's, auto or 4spd, can tow a midsize camper for a weekend of comfy nights after day thrashing...but... A Jeep IS a Jeep, light weight, made to run without doors, typically good MPG, easily upgradeable, VERY maneuverable, can fit a small block(needs allot of upgrades to hold up to the power increase and the weight balance is way off)...both have benefits over the other...its a personal call.

Reply to
Shades