Yet more car tax for the anti-SUV crowd

SUVs have big engines .. so they are all Range Rovers ... costing 100K US ... so we can all afford to pay more tax right ?

In a typical "its so unfair" misrepresetation, this article compares a 4.0 v8 as putting out 3 times as much pollution as a 1.5 diesel but only "paying" 75 quid more. As a Renault Clio diesel gets 65.7 mpg imperial and a Land Rover 17 mpg imperial, at 14000 miles a year a Land Rover owner will pay £2275 in petrol tax and a Clio driver will pay £588 which needless to say isn't mentioned...

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

Not sure what your point is? This makes sense to me. I am not sure if you noticed, but there are more and more people in the world. People are living longer, driving more and the whole world is becoming industrial. The people of China used to ride bikes. Not sure if you know how many people live in that country? They are now driving cars and polluting like crazy. Not nearly as much as the US however. We pollute by far more than any country. Anyway, I don't see a problem with taxing the mileage fuel economy thing. It would be great if they did that. It just means we will be getting smarter. Just because a car doesn't pollute doesn't mean it isn't very powerful. Look how cars have improved over the years in both counts. We used to think a stock 454 was a great motor. Now you can buy a stock 6 banger that smokes that old v-8. Turbo's and superchargers and technology has made this possible. If they adopted these policies here maybe we wouldn't need to back the truck up over in the middle east so much.

Japan changed the automotive industry in the 70's, maybe a law like that would change it again even more. I think cars today are much better than the old ones. I restore old cars now and again. They are really cool, but junk, by today's standards.

Curt

Reply to
curt

you missed my point completely - the UK taxes fuel at 400% and yet we have a crap article trying to tax SUVs disproportionately on top of that with a fixed tax under the pretence that they are luxury vehicles.

Are you going to tell me that paying 4.88 bucks a US gallon, plus 800 bucks road tax is fair ?

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > SUVs have big engines .. so they are all Range Rovers ... costing 100K US : > ... so we can all afford to pay more tax right ? : >

: > In a typical "its so unfair" misrepresetation, this article compares a

4.0 : > v8 as putting out 3 times as much pollution as a 1.5 diesel but only : > "paying" 75 quid more. As a Renault Clio diesel gets 65.7 mpg imperial and : a : > Land Rover 17 mpg imperial, at 14000 miles a year a Land Rover owner will : > pay £2275 in petrol tax and a Clio driver will pay £588 which needless to : > say isn't mentioned... : >

: >

: > Dave Milne, Scotland : > '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara : >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
Dave Milne

Aye, I did miss your point. I went into my 'cars need to be better' routine. I would think SUV's would be rare in Scotland, as least they were last time I was there. Is there a way to separate the luxury SUV's and ones that are used for work? It seems to me if the SUV was a work vehicle, it should be exempt from such an extra tax.

I do see your point.

We need to do something in the states to curb all these huge SUV's around here. I mean you should see the size of some of them. The H2 is the silliest thing I have ever seen. I wouldn't be caught dead in one. I mean they look retarded. That is what I thought you were getting at.

Curt

Reply to
curt

I see..........if you think that it is silly - it must be wrong & therefore must be taxed!!!!!

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

The thing I see is that the soccer Mom's stopped driving vans to the practices/games and switched to the full size SUV. Their corporate highly paid husband can afford something like this so all the cookie cutter wives have the need to have one or they won't stack up to the other wives in their cookie cutter suburban living arrangement. Of course, both of these old and new vehicles get low fuel mileage.

I thought that years ago someone tweaked a carb to get astronomical fuel mileage without too much power loss? It was a garage tale told around Michigan for years.

Anyways Dave, It's not fair that you should have to suck up the tax difference for people driving "luxury" vehicles.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

I am not in favour of any luxury tax and I really don't feel (too) envious about anyone else's vehicle, as long as I am having fun with my own. I might have a better car than you, but you may have a better house, and someone else may have had better holidays - it's silly to try to decide on a benchmark for everything we can afford.

God, I hate the politics of envy ...

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > -- : > Carlo F. Serusa, Jr. RPh : > carlo.jr at comcast.net : > '98 Sahara TJ - '89 YJ - '79 Scout II : > O|||||||O : > '92 Explorer '65 Mustang : >

: >

: > > I do see your point. : > >

: > > We need to do something in the states to curb all these huge SUV's : around : > > here. I mean you should see the size of some of them. The H2 is the : > > silliest thing I have ever seen. I wouldn't be caught dead in one. I : > mean : > > they look retarded. That is what I thought you were getting at. : > >

: > > Curt : > >

: > > > Are you going to tell me that paying 4.88 bucks a US gallon, plus

800 : > > bucks : > > > road tax is fair ? : > > >

: > > >

: > > > Dave Milne, Scotland : > > > '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara : > > >

: > > > : > SUVs have big engines .. so they are all Range Rovers ... costing : > 100K : > > > US : > > > : > ... so we can all afford to pay more tax right ? : > > > : >

: > > > : > In a typical "its so unfair" misrepresetation, this article : compares : > a : > > > 4.0 : > > > : > v8 as putting out 3 times as much pollution as a 1.5 diesel but : only : > > > : > "paying" 75 quid more. As a Renault Clio diesel gets 65.7 mpg : > imperial : > > > and : > > > : a : > > > : > Land Rover 17 mpg imperial, at 14000 miles a year a Land Rover : owner : > > > will : > > > : > pay £2275 in petrol tax and a Clio driver will pay £588 which : > needless : > > > to : > > > : > say isn't mentioned... : > > > : >

: > > > : >

: > > > : > Dave Milne, Scotland : > > > : > '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara : > > > : >

: > > > : >

: > > > : >

: > > > : : > > > : : > > >

: > > >

: > >

: > >

: >

: >

: :

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

yup, the reason the UK, Europe and the US go down the toilet, is because every time somebody whines that somebody else should have prevented something, another "safeguard" gets put in place and more taxes raised to pay for it. We will all go to hell in a handbasket, with a howling mass of bureaucrats baying at our heels..

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > I am not in favour of any luxury tax and I really don't feel (too) envious : > about anyone else's vehicle, as long as I am having fun with my own. I might : > have a better car than you, but you may have a better house, and someone : > else may have had better holidays - it's silly to try to decide on a : > benchmark for everything we can afford. : >

: > God, I hate the politics of envy ... : >

: > Dave Milne, Scotland : > '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

I have no problem with an extra tax on vehicles that get terrible mileage like the H2. That is my point. That truck is a joke, but that isn't my real point. It is the terrible mileage that needs a tax.

My H2 comment was just my opinion. I wouldn't be caught dead in one. They are silly IMHO. They are terrible off road due to how heavy they are. Almost ALL of them will never see any off road activity, but you can say that about most all 4 wheel drives. I would love to put my XJ up against an H2. It would be a joke. They are just too heavy to go anywhere and too big to get on most trails. The only thing they can do is go fast over fields which is what Hummers were designed to do. I will give them that.

Curt

Reply to
curt

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

To paraphrase Mr. Milne with the view toward Washington, DC:

"yup, the reason the UK, Europe and the US go down the toilet, is because every time somebody whines that somebody else should have prevented something, another "safeguard" gets put in place and more taxes raised to pay for it. We will all go to hell in a handbasket, with a howling mass of bureaucrats baying at our heels.."

You may notice that I didn't change a word...

Reply to
TJim