Wiper Board: Walk-in warranty exchange?

Mine has gone for the second time - this time I think it's for good.

If I get lucky and there's a recall on the things ('98 burb...) should I be able to just yank the bad one myself and exchange it at the parts window?

Seems like a PITA to lose the vehicle for a day if they have to do the work...

----------------------- PeteCresswell

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Pete,

I was just going to post a new topic on this one and I saw yours. My '95 was not giving me trouble, but I thought that since there was a recall and I was eligible, I'd go in and get mine fixed before the recall was over. After 4 months, mine is acting all funny. No more interval wipers and I get a double run every time I use the "mist" function.

Will they stand behind these things a second time? I agree about being out a truck for a day for a 5 minute job. I stood and waited the first time and it took him longer to get his tools than to put the new part in.

Reply to
Snowman

Just checked with the dealer's parts desk:

1) No recall/exchange for 98's

2) When somebody buys the new board, they're getting exactly the same board as the one that failed. Parts guy says GM hasn't fixed it yet.... Which sounds funny to me given the number of people who've opined that it's just faulty solder joints plus my own experience with the problem going away for awhile after I re-soldered three of the joints....

Reply to
PeteCresswell

I don't know who's telling you that the recall is over, but I recently received a recall letter for my '95 about 2 months ago and just had it done last week, no questions asked. FYI, the new boards are different - they're thicker, which is why they also replace the cover (it has a slighltly deeper groove to accomodate the thicker circuit board). However, just in case you don't get any satisfaction from your dealer, I will also repost my nearly-famous instructions for repairing your existing circuit board. Please remember, however, that repairing the damage doesn't eliminate the original cause but it is quite simple and has worked very well for a lot of folks in this and other newsgroups.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Hummmmmm, I have a `03 Silverado, 23k and just 12 months old. Last month the wiper when on delay would go to slow speed and not turn off, but I could change it to high speed and low speed, but not delay and not off. Turn the igntion off, start the truck and they would be fine again, delay would work, etc until about 5 minutes then the same scenario would start over.

Dealer said I`d have to leave it for a day, they`d look into it. Well last night it finally stuck, got off work, hit the mist wipe and they wouldnt turn off. Got home, got up next morning, started truck, wipers on and wouldnt turn off. No delay but would work high or low speed. Went to the dealer, after 20 minutes they pulled the fuse inside the dash, wipers stopped.

I`m glad I researched this, didnt take long either. Now armed with the goodies, I`ll go back to them and demand a new replacement along with new wiper blades.

I owned 2 Fords before this Chevy, no problems with either one and the last one had 118 k on it. This Chevys u-joints clunk often, I`m told thats usual, replaced the latch mechanism on Pass-door, it fell of and couldnt open the door. Now this.............so I`m wondering how long this truck is gonna hold. I like the style, the 5 liter, xtend cab, wheels and torque. Just hoping these little piss but problems are the only ones that i`ll have to deal with.

Reply to
FinishFirst

If you've been following the many discussions about the chronic Chevy/GMC wiper problems, then I hate to disappoint you. Although you may be experiencing similar difficulties, the wiper circuitry and mechanism is quite different in your '03 than in the previous 88-99 body style. In fact, yours is the first complaint I've heard from anyone who has the current style, although the trucks from the mid to late 90's were notorious.

If you've had two Fords prior to your current truck, then I'm surprised that you didn't have problems with the fuel tank filler and vent, the ignition switch or the headlight switch - Chronic issues with Fords in the 90's.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

I'd like to hear these instructions!!! I figured theres an FAQ for this cause its so famous a problem...Haven't been able to find it! can you repost? b

Reply to
Hamilton Audio

I have a 96, not sure the years affected. The 2 notes I've copied below are:

  1. my thanks letter to the author of the how-to-fix instructions.
  2. the how-to-fix instructions (I chose to re-solder it myself - good result). Elliott

Subject: Re: GM Wiper motor circuit board recall!!!!!!!!!!! Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 19:14:57 -0400 From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Newsgroups: alt.trucks.chevy, alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks

Thanks Jonathan, It took 1/2 hour since I lost time looking for a dropped screw, and the board was a little hard to get to (in an 96 Sonoma) cause another harness goes right in fron of it. The circuit board is sooooo much easier to remove/repair than it would have been to replace the whole wiper motor assembly. 3 screws in the cover, and some messing around with the other harness to gain access. The board took lots of light wiggling to come free but did. There was an obviously cold-solder-joint on the board closest to the connector. I also cleaned a pair of contacts on the back side that had some gunk on them. It went back in easy and is working fine.

H> Mid-90's Chevy and GMC Wiper Module Circuit Board

Hamilt>

Reply to
reitze