2001 TL Timing Belt

The owner's contains the following text regarding the timing belt:

The timing belt should normally be replaced at the intervals shown in the maintenance schedule.

(That's 100,000 miles or 168,000 km)

Replace this belt at 60,000 miles (U.S.) or 100,000 km (Canada) if you regularly drive your car in one or more of these conditions: In very high temperatures (over 110°F, 43°C). In very low temperatures (under 20°F, 29°C).

The dealership is telling me I will need to replace my timing belt at

100,000 km. I don't know about that. The manual seems to suggest that unless you drive "regularly" in the Mohave desert or Nunavut, the 168,000 km should be fine.

What do you guys think?

Reply to
Venture Rider

Where are you and what is your mileage? Did you mean minus 29°C? I think there is also an age consideration - can anyone confirm or dispute? MZ

Reply to
MZ

You're right, it's -29C. In Quebec, we get maybe 5 days below 30 in the year. And I don't necessarily go out every one of those day. As a matter of fact, I drove less then 5,000km since last year!

Reply to
Venture Rider

I encountered this same question with a '95 300ZX I owned. Owner's and shop manual had the same mileage specifications you are quoting. I finally decided to replace the belt at 95,000 miles, just to be safe. The Nissan mechanic who did the work at the dealership said the belt look like new. I would think that Nissan/Honda/Toyota/etc. are all conservative in this recommendation. Additionally there seems to be a lot of confusion between miles and kilometers for some people, but I would hope a dealership would know the difference. 100,000 miles before replacement seems to be a very common "lifetime" for timing belts. Don't be sucked in by this scam of 100,000 km (62,138 mi).

Reply to
Gary Ponier

But be aware that if they don't look like new they are seriously overdue for change. It is never safe to go by appearance in deciding whether to change a timing belt on an interference engine.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

You're absolutely right, but hey, it could be worse, you could be driving something like a Hyundai or Kia where there are even lesser guarantees.

Reply to
michael t

It does sound like a scam, doesn't it? I also noticed that the dealer recommends 3000km service intervals, while the book says 6000km under severe conditions.

Reply to
Venture Rider