2002 Acura 3.2 TL Check Engine Light

Hello everyone - I have an '02 3.2 TL and just got back from a long 800 mile trip. Had the engine oil replaced and filters etc cleaned just before going on the trip, came back and now the check engine light is on. The cars got about 95K miles on it, had the 90K mile service and tranny replaced by Acura a couple of months ago (recall on tranny for this model apparently). Any ideas what might be going on before I take it in to a service shop? I've heard oxy sensors can cause this, but if there are any other things I can check prior, I'd appreciate the tips.

Thanks! Varun

Reply to
vsehgal18

Go to an Autozone Part store if there is one nearby. They will let you borrow and connect a tester to determine the exact code(s) which triggered your CEL. It's a free service. You can then track down the codes online. If it is an oxy sensor you may still be covered by warranty. If not figure on about $400.

Reply to
Sandy

"vsehgal18" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Which can mean any of a couple of hundred errors. You MUST get the code read by a garage with an OBD-II scanner. Do NOT assume an oxygen sensor or such is bad. Until the code is read, you simply cannot know.

As Sandy says, AZ will do it for free.

Report the code back here.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Ok thanks for your advice folks - I'll get the diagnostic done first before jumping to conclusions.

Reply to
vsehgal18

Just wanted to write back to let everyone know what the problem was - MISSING GAS TANK COVER! yeap, apparently the gas pump attendant forgot to replace the fuel tank cap a few weeks ago, resulting in a drop in the fuel tank pressure that set off the check engine light. 2 days after I replaced the fuel tank cover, the light went away on its own.

What a gotcha, eh?

vsehgal18 wrote:

Reply to
vsehgal18

"vsehgal18" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

And this is why you need the code! The code is your oracle.

Was your code P0457?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Reply to
vsehgal18

The light came on our 99 Honda Odyssey due to an errant gas jockey. Then, 4 days later we had to replace our battery. Yes the battery was probably due, but I thought I'd mention it just the same.

Reply to
justB.

Reply to
AcuraSales