87 Octane Fuel in a 2005 TL

There was an interesting article in the business section of the Washiington Post today reporting a large decline in premium and mid-grade (89) gasoline as owner switch to regular. They quoted the tech experts at Chrysler as saying even cars recommended for premium can run on 87, but the electronics will not let the engine develop maximum output to protect itself.

Anyone know what Honda's (Acura) position is on running regular in a TL?

Just wondering.

Paul

Reply to
Unknown

RTM. Don't do it. You want to buy a $36,000 car, then attempt to save two dollars on a fill up..?

Reply to
Larry J.

It's not worth the few bucks per year you might save for the possibility of screwing up your $35,000 car. It's 11:1 compression requires 91+ octane. Will it run on less? Yes, but it's not worth the risk or the loss in performance. You're not saving that much.

Reply to
Lee Florack

Not to mention that you will probably get better mpg with 91 so the cost isn't as bad as it seems. Saving a little money is a great idea except when it is at the cost of ruining an engine. Ever see a piston from an engine that has been detonating? Lots of dents and holes from the knocking.

Reply to
NomoreRGS

Given the compression ratio of this engine, I would have to agree that running at anything below 91 octane would almost certianly produce damage to the engine at some point. I was just interested in others views on this.

Any, by the way, higher octane rated fuel in and of themselves do not produce higher fuel mileage. In fact, all things being equal, (meaning engine and value timing, etc). higher octane and performance number fuels produce lower fuel mileage, as the fuel has a lower energy content per volume. This is due to the mix of aromatics added, and other non-energy loaded chemicals for instance, to get the higher detonation resistance.

In the case of the modern engines that have dynamic timing control, detonation sensing and variable valve timing, the lower octane fuel would most likely produce lower mileage as the engine compensates to protect itself.

Paul

Reply to
Unknown

I was test driving a TL at my local Acura dealership two weeks ago and asked the salesman if the car required 91+ octane. He said that it can improve performance but it's not necessary and that every car on their lot was filled with 87.

Reply to
gavram

I was test driving a TL at my local Acura dealership two weeks ago and asked the salesman if the car required 91+ octane. He said that it can improve performance but it's not necessary and that every car on their lot was filled with 87.

Reply to
gavram

He's an imbecile.

Reply to
Larry J.

Check the owners manual. It will tell you the fuel requirements. Most modern cars have knock sensors that will retard the spark if they sense knock. So you can use the lower octane fuel, but performance will suffer. So it is not a case of getting more if you use higher octane as much as it is that you get less if you use the lower octane gas.

-------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

The new Hyundai has a V6 and runs on 87 octane gas. Maybe that car would be more to your liking.

Or a nice Sunbird.

Reply to
Bruno

Huh? Honda is currently marketing that they all require 87. Premium is an option for higher performance. I believe the wording in the owners manual is now along these lines. I have no doubt all the cars on the lot are filled with 87.

Nothing has actually changed except Honda now apparently trusts the knock sensor to protect the engine, at least until the warranty is up.

Reply to
E Meyer

You should drive one. They really have come a long way. The stylings is also getting better.

GM still has a long way to go.

------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

In case anybody missed it, I was trying to be sarcastic. In the sense that the OP wants an Acura, but balks at putting premium gas in it.

Reply to
Bruno

MY 2005 TL manual states clearly that the engine is designed for operation with 91 octane fuel, but 86 octane can be used temporarily if 91 is not available. It states the use of 86 octane fuel over a long period can cause damage to the engine.

I would think that's pretty clear. I believe they would say "you were warned".

Paul

Reply to
Unknown

From the Acura web site:

Recommended Fuel Premium unleaded 91 octane

Larry J.

Around here, Premium is always 6 cents more per litre than regular. So if I put in 50 litres every fillup, I will always pay $3.00 extra per fillup for Premium, no matter how expensive gas gets.

Reply to
Bruno

Well, there you go. I would think that would put the issue to rest for that particular car.

Now if they would similarly clear up the wording on some of the other models...

Reply to
E Meyer

Like everyone said.

It's an aluminum engine, and even if the knock sensor ... does whatever it does, retards the spark or something, to reduce knock, you might still have it occurring a few percent of the time, which won't do the aluminum any good.

Hmm, anybody know how smart the software is, will it keep pushing the timing back towards knock, or will it adjust for the life of the trip? Just wondering.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

I'm not sure how Honda does it, but on the Nissans, it resets every time you start the car.

Reply to
E Meyer