91 acura integra possible starter problem

I just picked up a 91 Acura Integra and the guy who gave it to me said you have to hold the key in the ignition while you drive it. I of course want to repair this, any ideas on what I need to purchase, how much it will cost, or if it is something I can do myself?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
brittbottoms

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Sounds like a wornout ignition switch,not a starter problem. (the starter cranks the motor,not needed once the motor begins running.)

In the 94 Integra,the electrical part of the switch can be replaced without changing the lock cylinder and needing new keys(that don't match your door locks!!).I don't know about earlier models.They're probably similar.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

You mean you have to push it in, or keep it turned?

A new key may be all you need. I'd try that first before ripping stuff apart. Do you still have the original key with the 4-digit number on the shaft? If so, the dealer can order a new one. They're pretty cheap.

If a new key doesn't fix it, you need a new lock cylinder. It's easy to install, but you'd need a locksmith to re-key the new cylinder for your original key if you wanted to use the same key for the whole car.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns979CDCBFFFB0tegger@207.14.113.17:

If, however, you mean the key won't stay in the RUN position (II) and the car stalls, then you probably need the ignition switch. The switch provides the click-stops that keep the key at a certain position.

Here are links to pictures of your lock cylinder and ignition switch.

TeGGeR®

I think you may have nailed it TeGGeR. It won't stay in the run position. Thats why I have to hold it. If I let it go, the engine stops.

Any idea on how much a new switch would cost, and a good place to buy one from?

Thanks again everybody.

Reply to
beastech

"beastech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

There are number of places that do the on-line parts thing. A list here:

Nobody seems to list the ignition switch though, so you probably have no choice but to call your local dealer. I even checked one of the on-line Honda dealers, with no success there either.

If I were you, I'd pull the lock cylinder first and see if you get the same sort of behavior from the switch when you manipulate it with a small screwdriver before rspending money.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns97A19AD694994tegger@207.14.113.17:

Don't you have to break off some security bolts to remove the lock cylinder? Or do you mean "pull off the switch from the lock cylinder" and manipulate the switch with a screwdriver?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns97A1D335016F1jyanikkuanet@129.250.170.85:

Nope. Easy as pie, once you get the covers off.

All you do is insert the key, turn the key to "I", remove a small set-screw from the bottom, push the pin in on top, and withdraw the cylinder. The point is, you need the right key in the first place.

You need to do this to get at the small half-round slot in the switch. This is how you start the car with a screwdriver.

What thieves depend on is the fact that the lock cylinder is only held in by that tiny set-screw and the spring-loaded pin. If they get lucky, they can break both of those with a large coarse-threaded screw reefed into the key slot and a slide hammer attached to that. Once the cylinder's out, they whip out the skinny screwdriver and off they go. Vroom!

Reply to
TeGGeR®