Any input on the '07 RDX?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one with the tech pkg. The missus likes the size of the Honda CR-V & I wanted something with more power & goodies so the RDX seems like a decent compromise. Reviews seem generally good, but the peaky turbo 4-cyl & bumpy ride seem to come up a lot. Anyone have real-world experience?

TIA, Dave

Reply to
Dave Smith

Dave - I bought the Tech just before Christmas. We have about 4500 km on it now.

My first thoughts - I love it, and so do my family. My wife (almost 50) and my sons (19 and 16) love to drive it.

We live in Saskatchewan (it is -33C here this morning, with a threat of snow) We got it just prior to leaving on a ski/snowboard to Whitefish, Montana (a 10 hour drive). I drove through the prairies and my 19 year old drove it (aggressively) through the mountains the last three hours. It was incredible riding and comfort, the tech sound system is great. My wife and

16 year old left a day or two later in her Acura EL. It was great going up and down the mountain - a confident feeling with the SH-AWD. Upon our return, my 16 year old drive it for the last 3.5 hours on the way home and loved driving it.

The knocks on it are the "harshness" but the suspension is tight, a good tight, and I like the feel and precision that this brings along with a sports suspension. If I wanted to drive a sofa, I would have bought the Lincoln Navigator. The CRV and RDX share the chassis, but otherwise, the RDX is far more vehicle. It is tough for me to keep my foot out of the turbo - it is just exciting and exhilerating to drive. It is a bit thirstier than I wanted, but hey, when you enjoy every trip in it . . . anyway, entertainment is pricey these days. I don't really notice peakiness, the torque curve is actually pretty flat.

One or two minor annoyances - hand access to the pocket on the driver's door is restricted when I have the seat positioned for me (I am 5'6"). This bugs me a bit because there is no sunglass holder that my '04 Accord had. Also, I wish they had a meaningful light in the cargo compartment and one or two more power outlets. Others have noted that the passenger seat is not powered and that there is no memory on the driver's seat. The driver's seat thing would be nice - I don't care about the other because if I am in it, I want to drive. My one other annoyance is that at 40-50 kph (25-30 mph) it shifts to 4th gear and then seems to "lug" at about 1500 rpm. My preference is 3rd gear at this speed at about 2000 rpm with correspondingly quicker response. Sometimes I find myself manually shifting to 3 with the paddle.

Strong features - sporty handling and exhileration when driving. I don't see myself getting tired of driving it. BTW, I am 54, so it is almost like being a kid again. Not that the '04 Accord with V6 was a bad car - it was a great car and the V6 was strong (220 kph or 140 mph) and quick, but not the excitement that this provides.

Ask me more if you have any questions.

bob

Reply to
papewe

has a "forum" discussion for the RDX. Plenty of owner input there; generally good reviews although some gripes re. low mpg. I suspect Acura will have to offer the RDX at a discount this summer if gas prices go back up (they will). Also be aware that Mobil 1 synthetic is required for the RDX; not a big deal if you do your own oil changes but pretty expensive at the dealer.

Reply to
ACAR

Dave Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

RDX is really expensive for what you get, isn't it? Also, performance vs. mpg is poor and premium gas is required.

Reply to
sally

This may be a bad place to say so but the RAV4 V6 is generally superior and a lot cheaper.

Check out Consumer Reports

Way more power, better gas mileage, regular gas.

rj

Reply to
Ron Jones

snip

Bob,

Thanks for the excellent reply! We bought a Moroccan Red RDX on the last day of Jan without the Tech Pkg. I personally would have enjoyed that option, but this will primarily be my wife's car & she wasn't interested in all gadgets - she says she can "turn on the heater or tune the radio just fine with her right hand!" Luddite!

I share your impressions so far - stiff, sporty ride, great handling, good power. We have a trip planned to Mt. Batchelor in central Oregon next weekend so will get our first experience in snow. I picked up two sets of the cable chains recommended in the manual, but still think I'd like to upgrade to a set of Blizzaks.

Regard, Dave Smith

Reply to
Dave Smith