What to do with '00 TL

My '00 TL has 40k miles on it and the extended Transmission warranty period will end sometime this year.

I asked the dealer about the trans and was told there is no way to predict if or when it "might" die. They've even seen one that had 2 replacements in less than a year.

I really like the car and it's in excellent condition. The finish and interior are good as new. The only thing not working right is the drivers seat bottom heater.

I don't know if it's wise to do brakes, tires, etc. when they come due or if it's better to replace the car and avoid the possible Trans. problem.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

Reply to
Oldtimer

6 years and only 40k? Keep it if you like it otherwise - you're worrying about nothing. When and if the tranny sarts to act up, it'll probably be well after 150k the way you're driving it, which is in 15 some years at this rate. Some cars never get tranny problems before everything else dies around them. Just because the warranty is expiring doesn't mean the tranny is going to explode or anything.
Reply to
Yoda

It sounds like you don't drive a lot. The extra cost to trade in your nearly perfect vehicle on sometime new would far exceed the potential cost of an eventual transmission replacement if yours needs one some day.

I would simply make sure that the transmission fluid is properly changed out once every two years with the drain, fill, drive, etc. procedure Honda recommends and using correct Honda fluid and then stop worrying about it. All kinds of bad things might happen to us in life, but there is little sense overdoing the worries.

JOhn

Reply to
John Horner

Hi Oldtimer, Have you had the transmission replaced yet? There was a factory recall out on the 2000 TL and I had mine replaced with no problems. If it has been replaced, then no worries. Brian

Reply to
Brian Yates

Brian,

I believe that recall was for a visual inspection (via fibre optics) of the second gear. Only those that showed wear/problems were replaced. The others (mine too) had a retrofit oiler of some sort added.

As I mentioned, my dealer has seen repeat failures (don't know the model or year).

Thanks to all who replied. I haven't decided what to do yet, but I think less worrying would be a good start.

Oldtimer

Reply to
Oldtimer

Acura has pretty good reliablility, I wouldn't worry about the transmission warranty expiring.

Reply to
iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw

Well, yes, except for all those transmission failures.

Reply to
Venture Rider

I am in the same situation as the OP (2001 TL with 84K kms). The cost of a new transmission represents at most 8 months of payments on a new car. If my transmission replaced at 76K failed within the next 2-3 years, Honda would probably agree to pay a fraction of the invoice. Should I keep my TL and take the risk of a transmission failure? Probably.

"Venture Rider" a écrit dans le message de news:

45cc8439$0$29754$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com...
Reply to
Ghislain

Well I went and looked it up. CR gives the 2000 Acura TL it's worst reliability rating in the transmission category. However, it does give the 2000 TL it's second highest rating for used car reliability(there are only five ratings of course). It's worth about a third of what a new TL is worth.

Reply to
iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw

I was looking at the wrong thing sorry...it's not worth quite a third of what a new TL is worth. A 2000 TL is worth $7,900 to $9,800. A

2007 TL goes for 33-38.
Reply to
iwhtcimtlfmwmaomopw

This one is your call. Acura has known problems with 1999-2003 TL and CL automatic transmissions. They fail suddenly usually without warning and sometimes so badly the car will not be drivable and have to be towed to a dealer/shop. There is a warrenty extention for 93 months (7 years 9 months) or 109k miles that you are about to pass. IF you have a good service history with a dealer and the trans fails just out of warrenty they will usually cover it for you or atleast cover the part. I've seen vehicles with 180,000 miles and never a problem but I've seen a trans take a dump as low as 18,000 miles also. The good thing is 99.9% of the time once the trans has been replaced with a factory rebuilt it doesn't fail again. That model TL is a wonderful car but unfortunatly the original transmissions just didn't hold.

Reply to
Tek

Thanks for your insight.

Reply to