ATF Flush at 26K ?

04 TSX AT @ 26K

The car is overdue for 25K (or 20K ?) service Should I do a full ATF flush/change ? And can any ordinary, non-dealership shop do this ? (meaning do they has the proper equiptments) How much does it cost on average ?

thanks

Reply to
firewolf

---------------------------------

Don't use the word FLUSH when describing a Honda or Acura. You NEVER 'power flush' that kind of tranny.

Take the OEM fluid to your mechanic (or Monkey-Lube) and have them drain and refill. I'd do it again a week later also, since you can never change ALL the fluid. I actually do it THREE times on any used car I buy, but yours is fairly new.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

"motsco_"

Really ? not supposed to flush the tranny with one of those fancy power-flush equiptment I read about ? why ?

Reply to
firewolf

The Honda owners and service manual specifically say to use multiple drain-fill-drive cycles to do a complete transmission fluid change. Four times over, in fact. Also it is important to use the right fluid, which unfortunately is only sold by Honda/Acura dealers, ATF-Z1. The Honda method is quite easy to do, if time consuming. Shops love the flush machines because they are fast, but I suspect Honda has some good reason for not wanting the machine used.

I do this change out cycle once every 30k miles on our Honda/Acuras.

John

Reply to
John Horner

-----------------------------------

Murphy's Law states that they have an 80% chance of hooking it up BACKWARDS, which would back-flush the contents of the internal filter throughout the whole tranny :-(

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Is there some reason why my Acura dealer here in PDX would recommend a $150.00 flush when it's not supposed to be done?

Other than a $$$ motive that is.

Reply to
Ron Marraccini

What other motive does he need?

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

-----------------------------

If there's another motive out there, I'd like to hear it too!

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Wouldn't they be liable for any damage caused?

Reply to
Ron Marraccini

---------------------------------------

Read page four of this Honda bulletin:

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

I doubt it! Those machines are big money makers.

Reply to
John Horner

Hi,

I see that this article applies to "aftermarket" flushing.

My Acura dealer gave me two options;

1) Drain & refill Transmission- $50.00 (don't know if it's 1-2-3 times or what?) 2) Transmission flush - $150.00 (recommended by them)

The transmission was already replaced once @ 28,000 via warrantee.

I am in a quandary as to what course to follow as I don't want the tranny screwed up.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ron Marraccini

I would call Acura customer care and talk to them about your dealer. Alternatively, find a Honda or Acura dealer who will do the job by the book. All flushing is aftermarket flushing since Acura doesn't approve of or supply such equipment. Just because a dealer does the job doesn't mean they are using Acura approved methods or materials.

John

Reply to
John Horner