How far on that Dumbass Compact Spare?

2001 CL type S with a tranny about ready to explode in my face. I'm on vacation and a chunk of dumptruck fell off a truck and I nailed it. I was not following too close; there were two cars to the left and right so I had no room to swerve. Within about ten seconds my right front was completely flat. After a bit of swearing I put that damn doughnut on and continued to my parent's place. I called EVERY tire place within 70 miles. Wednesday at the absolute earliest and chances are they won't be able to do even that. Obviously tomorrow being the 4th nobody will be open. One place said NEXT wednesday. So what am I supposed to do? I called the place I got the tires to begin with and they guaranteed they'll have it on Wednesday, but that is a 200 mile drive. I have Dunlop Sport 5000m - I ditched the factory Michelins back in 2004. So here I am. P215/50r17 is the size. Is there a way to get a full sized spare in the trunk? Maybe buy a steel rim with some sort of tire? I dunno. Are there any options for getting rid of the damnt hing? The sidewall is gashed - no chance of patching it.
Reply to
Justin

We replaced our compact spare (2001 3.2CL) with a full size steel rim (TireRack) when we purchased new tires, and kept the best old tire to use on the new steel rim as a spare.....why have speed-rated tires and a 50mph spare? The only drawback is that the cover over the spare sits about 1" higher, but we don't care about that. Also, the new tires are directional (Yokohamas), but we kept the original Michelin as a spare, so it'll work on either side. HTH!

Reply to
jwnrj

It sort of helps. Can you let me know the part number for the rim and the exact tire you have ont hat spare rim? I hope you don't mind but I'm going to copy you; after all you ahve the same exact car! Too bad I can't carry a spare tranny...

jwnrj wrote:

Reply to
Justin