SOT: It's a federal law that postal tires can't be installed on a regular vehicle??

We just got a phone call from a tire company that has one of our s10 trucks and they are telling us that the tires installed on this vehicle are for p ostal vehicles only and we are violating federal law by having these tires on our truck. The size etc is correct for the vehicle.

anyone ever hear of a law like this?? I tried googling it and came up with nothing.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Maybe a low peed rating for city not highway use? That's coded on the tire. If I were buying a lot of tires for below-55-mph use I'd certainly spec the cheaper tire.

Reply to
AMuzi

ucks and they are telling us that the tires installed on this vehicle are f or postal vehicles only and we are violating federal law by having these ti res on our truck. The size etc is correct for the vehicle.

with nothing.

One time back in the 1950s I found a piece of some kind of industrial hose. I cut it to fit around the front wheel of my bicycle, I wire tied the ends together. It worked pretty Good. When I put that hose around the rear whee l, it was almost impossible for me to pedal that bicycle. Cajun Engineering .

Reply to
JR

m6onz5a wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I was intrigued enough to look this up myself, and I also came up dry.

However, I did discover this page:

Apparently LLVs use the tire size LT195/75R14. But there's no mention of the load or speed rating. What does it say on your tires AFTER the LT195/75R14? 87S? Something else?

And I foind this page:

This one discusses the number of plies used in the carcass. I suppose that would affect the speed/load ratings.

Logically, I can see no reason why your tires should violate any law at all. Unless there's a political/liability reason, in which case logic is instantly defenestrated.

Reply to
Tegger

"We just got a phone call from a tire company that has one of our s10 truck s and they are telling us that the tires installed on this vehicle are for postal vehicles only and we are violating federal law by having these tires on our truck. The size etc is correct for the vehicle.

anyone ever hear of a law like this?? I tried googling it and came up with nothing. "

This has to come from Texas!

I recall last year some poor fella down there just wanted stock size rims & rubber for his '60s vintage car, but acc. to Texastani law the size specif ied for his car was for "trailer use only".

Smdh...

Reply to
thekmanrocks

This is an easy one. Tell them to cite the exact law, and then look it up yourself.

Reply to
Bill Vanek

I agree with Bill Vanek: have them cite the applicable Federal code (xx CFR xxx). If they can't do that, then ask for a written and signed statement.

Part of my job is dealing with Fed, state, & local regulators. If they can't cite code and refuse to sign a written statement, then it's BS.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I agree with Bill and Paul.

Reply to
JR

m6onz5a: What does SOT stand for?

Reply to
thekmanrocks

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:56473ccb-310f-4195-ba4d- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Semi Off Topic.

Reply to
Tegger

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:56473ccb-310f-4195-ba4d- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Sort-of Off Topic.

Reply to
Tegger

____________________

I hate this century: Not much effort to type 'Semi-OT' at the very least?

Will everyone soon communicate exclusively via abbreviations and acronyms??

Reply to
thekmanrocks

MEGO

Reply to
AMuzi

Don't take no wooden nickels. Google,,, Wooden Nickels

Reply to
JR

That was me, looking for tires for my 1971 Matador. Tire places tried to tell me that the 215/14 75R was for trailers only. I went to several places, and finally found a set of whitewalls that the place put on my car, no questions.

Reply to
sctvguy1

It's your ride, you deserve the kind of tires you want.

Reply to
JR

That's because they only carried one or two tires in that size, and they were trailer-only types. When you get stuff like this, go to tirerack.com, pull up what you want, and ask them if they can sell it to you or if you will have to order from tirerack.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

i agree with vanik