How far you can drive after a police spike strip punctures all four tires

Per the end of the video... Let me guess... "I can't breathe!!"

Around 1 AM, I had a dead flat tire once, and one lug was different, so I couldn't put the donut on. After waiting over 2 hours for AAA, the dispatcher called me and said no one could come out until after 6 AM. Being about 10 minutes from home, and almost no one on the 45 MPH stretch of road, plus a nearly bald tire to begin with, I opted to drive

15 MPH home on the flat. Shockingly, the mangled tire was still on the rim, and it didn't destroy the steel rim, either.

I probably wouldn't have attempted it if it were a front tire... once you start turning the wheels, the flat tire will dismount. I'm amazed that it appears the rubber stayed on the whole time through this video. I'm also mildly disappointed that he didn't attempt to drive into the river, but such as life. ;)

Reply to
Michael Trew

I had a rear tire blowout on a rental on the way to Madison GA from Atlanta. It was rather drunk out that night and the jack wasn't apparent to my passenger or myself. I continued considerably faster than 15 mph. The next morning showed the rubber was mostly gone, the wire from the bead was wrapped around the axle, and the steel wheel was ground down to a nub. Oh, and there was a groove machined into the motel parking lot. The owner said, laconically, "I heard you boys come in last night."

I've been leery about buying used rentals since I always drove them like I stole it.

Reply to
rbowman

Wow.

LOL

Reply to
micky

A can of starting fluid sprayed around the bead and a match will do it!

Reply to
Michael Trew

"Drunk out"... I'm assuming that wasn't a typo, LOL. I'm assuming you had some trouble with the rental company over that one.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Not that I can recall. They seem to expect a little wear and tear. The only time I recall them being miffed was one time when I was in Canada for their Thanksgiving and everything was closed. I dumped the car at the airport and told them where it was. Canadian Thanksgiving falls on a different date than the US version so it was just another day for me.

Reply to
rbowman

That was neat how the tire followed the right rear wheel!

Reply to
mike