Opinions on TL and RL

Greetings!

I have been seriously considering both vehicles and was wondering if anyone could provide me with their opinion on these cars as I'm also considering the Infiniti and Lexus models.

I'm very impressed with both Acura vehicles.

What I'm looking to find out is long term results. Do they last, are there any issues to either vehicle.

Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

Before deciding on the 06 TL in Anthracite I did a lot of research and homework on the G35, BMW 330i and the TL. These were my top three choices. I am just coming off a BMW Z3 so I know how BMW is.

I liked the G35's ride and amenities, it had plenty of power and was priced reasonably. The 330i had that BMW ride and the cabin felt comfortable and quiet. The problem I had was the feeling of "been there, done that". I have been driving a BMW since 2001 and it just didn't make me feel it. Besides that the 330i was 3500-4500 more than either the TL or G35.

I then drove the TL and I knew it was the car for me. Ride, power and all the bells and whistles were exactly what I wanted and the NAV package just topped it off. I ended up paying quite a bit less that I would have for either the BMW or G35.

In the performance department, the TL had an overall edge on the other two, but of course it is splitting hairs and all boils down to personal preference.

When it was all said and done and the cars being very close, it was my wife who said, "That car fits you." It gives me the room I wanted and the power and driveability I wanted.

The RL is a little smaller, quicker, and is very nimble. I wanted a little more upgrade and luxury to go with the power and ride.

Hope this helps

Reply to
arat43

So you think the TL is more luxurious then the RL? I would hope that the extra $16 000 that the RL costs would provide some added luxury...

Reply to
James

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:22:14 GMT, NJ Vike let slip this dark secret:

I have a 2001 TL. The car still looks and drive like new.

Reply to
Humma Kavula

Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I was going to consider the BMW but when I attempted to sit in one, the car was just too small for me as I'm 6:2.

Both Acuras had the head and leg room and as you say, the Navigation system was the icing on the cake.

Just down the road was an Infiniti dealer so I thought I would drop in there. I looked at the G35 and while it provided the room I needed, I didn't like the interior and where they placed the controls to adjust the seat so I looked at the M. I told the dealer that the G35 wasn't for me and told me that he could *possibly* match the price of the M with the price I was going to be paying for the TL. I assume he will provide me a quote on a stripped-down version, if such a thing is possible.

I like the M but it has more gizmos than I could possibly want but if the price comes in, I will seriously consider it.

The Lexus ES330 was clumsy when cornering and has only a 218HP engine which is a serious downgrade on performance for me so I will probably say goodbye unless their salesperson wants to upgrade me at the same price.

Well, we shall see but I do still like the Acuras and value your opinion.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

I think I forgot to answer your original question about the RL. I did take a look, but because it was more of a luxury car and lacked the sportiness and nimbleness of the TL, I went with the TL.

The RL is their flagship car and it is got everything except the kitchen sink and that may be an option. If I was more inclined toward that level of luxury it would be my first choice over the 5 or even 7 series and the Lexus (don't care for their style changes).

Reply to
arat43

I had a 2000 TL and it was terrific in so many ways. When the 3 year lease ended I lusted for something new and I turned it back in and leased a BMW

525 sport, which, like all BMWs, drives like no other car. It is terrific in ways other than the TL. But the 3 year lease is up and I am considering the option of buying my beloved 5 or getting into an RL. The BMW drive is a huge attraction, but I miss the creature features found in Acuras. I think the current TL is an awesome car, but its body style is atrocious. The same can be said for BMWs, and most other cars. They all have big butts, and I don't like the look. Fortunately the RL look hasn't been destroyed (yet) so it definitely has my attention.

The Acura is the overall my first choice for a luxury car. Better than BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity, and anything the American companies vainly advertise as luxury cars.

So I am once again tempted by Acura, yet so fond of my 5. It has the NAV and I added an aux input to the radio so I can play my Archos MP3 jukebox and my XM Radio Roady, but it doesn't have Bluetooth (it is available as an add-on for about $600-$800) so my cell phone is 'manual' (ugh). The engine is a little small, but not without merit. The Acura can best all of that at a more reasonable cost.

What to do? what to do? I'll let you know if you care.

Reply to
Alphageek

Before we got our 2004 TL, we had three leased BMWs, Two 540s and a

530 as the last car.

What you say about BMW handling is correct, but for creature comforts and included options, the TL wins hands down. I also believe that the TL wins in the cabin design and use of materials. The newer BMW fit and finish is not as good as Acura's. The TL simply looks and feels much better.

Believe it or not, the TL has a bit more interior space than our last 530. The official cabin measurements bore that out.

Option for option, the current 530 is at least $15,000 more than a similarly equipped TL.

If you're main interest is racing on back roads, get the BMW. If you want a daily-driver that will put a smile on your face, and leave you with many thousands of dollars in your pocket, get the TL.

Reply to
Larry J.

The RL is not smaller than the TL (or G35). I've owned both TL's ('03 and '04) and now an '05 RL. The RL is larger, more luxurious and approximately $15,000 more than the TL.

Reply to
Lee Florack

Yea, yea, I know, I already corrected my error in a previous posting. Always one out there

Reply to
arat43

"Always one out there" ??

My intention was to correct an error I saw for the original poster and for all those reading this thread.

Sorry it seems to have upset you.

Reply to
Lee Florack

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 03:44:37 GMT, Lee Florack let slip this dark secret:

He'll get over it.

Reply to
Humma Kavula

I'm an Extremely Happy 2006 Acura TL owner! I just returned from a round trip from Phoenix to San Diego for the Thanksgiving holiday. It felt like I was sitting in a 'sporty' leather recliner the whole time. Excellent ride, power and creature comforts, including a surround sound stereo that will knock your socks off!

I've been reading this string of replies and found that the opinions were in line with mine, right up until I read the posting that included the following comment:

"I think the current TL is an awesome car, but its body style is atrocious."

Did the person who wrote this bump their head? How can they be serious about the body style being atrocious? Why would they think it's awesome (which it is) based on their opinion of the body style? That's confusing. It's a chiseled thing of beauty!! The 'butt' as he or she puts it is in perfect proportion to the rest of the car. Add a deck lid spoiler and wah-la! Sexy butt!

What to do? Don't know what to tell you. I didn't drive an RL, but if it's anything like a TL and you like the style better, I'd say get it!

Reply to
Troy Lumley

I thank you for your kind concern, but I did not bump my head, nor any other body part. I am pleased to know that you think the TL is a thing of beauty. To each his own taste. I still think it is homely. My present car is a 2003 BMW 5 series. I think it is a thing of beauty. I feel the current BMW body style is big butt, and I don't particularly like it. I similarly feel that the recent body style changes on many cars are unappealing. Perhaps not as unappealing as the PT Crusiser or the Chrysler 300M, but unappealing to me nonetheless. Did I just start another war?

The unappealing look does not detract from the excellence of the TL, nor any other Acura with which I am familiar. The description of awesome as I applied it to the TL was not with respect to its appearance, but the quality of the car otherwise. It is awesome in many respects, but simply not attractive to me. The Acuras have great comfort and creature features, and highly commendable reliability. The fit and finish of the interiors are second to none.

If you believe that atrocious was too strong a word, let me rephrase. Big ass car. May I have my opinion even though it isn't yours?

Reply to
Alphageek

Of course you can have you're own opinion. I just replied because I thought your statement was contradictory. Now I understand. I don't agree of course, but that doesn't necessarily matter. Everyone has there own taste. However, I must say, I haven't run in to many people who didn't think the TL's body style was very attractive. Yours was the first.

I do like the look of the 5 series. I think the latest generation body style is even better than the previous. It looks more aggressive. Overall I've liked most BMW body styles. It's just the interior ergonomics don't do much for me when compared to Acura models.

Anyway. No offense taken. Good luck with your decision making.

Reply to
Troy Lumley