Am I stupid for being loyal to MB?

I had a 2001 C320 wagon that was an electrical nightmare. It was in the shop over 60 days in three years.

Window auto close malfunction.

Several bulbs blowing out prematurely.

Air bag sensor malfunction - several times.

Voice recognition malfunctioning on and off for 2 years - Never fixed

Seat / steering wheel / mirror memory problems 10 plus visits -Never fixed

Wood trim coming off (dash & shifter area) 4 visits

Heater vent problems 3 visits

Gas gauge malfunction.

Cargo area cover unlatching. 2 visits

Cargo area seal leaking - never fixed

Driver door seal leaking 2 times and Never fixed.

Hatchback not latching for several visits.

Steering wheel grinding problems

Fog lamp ³fogging on two occasions.

Floor mats latch broke.

Sway bushings went bad

Lower control arm went bad.

Mass flow sensor had to be replaced

Mirror reverse problems.

Key malfunction

Seatbelt jamming 3 visits

Window trim leaking 2 visits

Hatchback trim leaking 2 visits

Doors rattling 3 visits - never fixed

Dash rattling 5 visits (every time they "fix" it, the rattle "moves" to another spot) -Never fixed.

Cup holder breaks 3 visits

Back seats not latching 2 visits

Ceiling panel loose in cargo area

SOS malfunction on several occasions (they found nothing even after the dash read "see repair shop")

Replaced rear window washer fluid pump.

The car stickered for $48,000, and was leased for 39 months.

-------------

MBUSA agreed that the car was a joke, and met me half way on getting out of the car at 30 months. I lost a few grand, but was glad to be rid of it. To keep me in the fold the dealership gave me a "deal" on a new car.

------------

Now I drive a 2004 E320 wagon that stickers for close to $65,000 with all the "goodies" in it. I bought it new in August 2004.

The hands free phone / voice recognition has never worked properly. It has been in the shop over 6 times trying to get this fixed. MB tech rep got involved. They have replaced the phone 5 times, the phone module two times, the navigation module one time, and adjusted and reconnected various antennas.

The Sirius satellite system "cuts out". This is related to the "optical ring" that connects all the audio components and cellphone together. still no fix after numerous visits to the dealer.

The CD player and regular radio are plagued by this fault too. It sucks on a 45 minute commute to not be able to listen to the radio or a CD. This is why I bought the upgraded stereo and satellite system in the first place.

All the audio issues are still not fixed.

handheld phone locked up even when out of car. replaced several times.

The dash vent rattles. replaced part twice.

The passenger door locking system "clunked" when cold. This was a faulty locking mechanism. It took almost a month for the part to to come from Germany.

Window closing got out of sync.

Cargo area cover malfunctioned. Repaired twice.

Third row seat ;latch malfunctioned. replaced.

Middle row seat back not latching properly. Slamming seat caused plastic to break.

Sensotronic brakes recall

Sensotronic pump vibrates the steering wheel and brake pedals when it pumps up. loud noise and very noticeable vibration.

seat memory issues. upgraded software.

rubber seal around cargo area door leaks. being replaced this week.

light in cargo area blew out. not yet fixed... this weeks visit.

----------------

I can "almost" live with everything but the sound system / phone issues. I am at a loss as to what to do, and feel that the "repairs" will not permanently fix the issues. I have the factory warranty on the car, and bought the extended one for 7 years 100,000...BUT the extended one DOES NOT cover any radio parts!

Should I cut my losses and jump brands?

Am I getting individually bad cars?

Should i believe the articles I read in magazines about MB worldwide having huge quality issues and not being able to handle them?

I paid good money for this car. I believed that perhaps the C class was not a "real' Benz, and that stepping up to the E Class would fix my quality woes. Am I just unlucky? Do all owners of later year models have this type of problem on a regular basis.

my staff laugh at me since I have a loaner car every few weeks. They tell me I should buy a Honda since their old cheap cars don't give them anywhere near as much trouble as my new Benz does.

i am loath to go the legal route since I already know that that will be a losing proposition.

I put all but $30,000 down cash on this $64,400 car. The $30,000 is financed through MB credit. 6 months in I am obviously looking at depreciation. I think my next step will be to talk with the service manager.

What to do?

any suggestions (realistic ones)

thanks,

Rich

Reply to
Rich Williamson

How are your state's lemon laws.. Sounds to me like you may have a case.. Get your money back and find another make.. Clearly MB quality is lacking and so is dealer service..

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Get the manager involved. Make a lot of noise. MB is in bad shape right now. I would hold off 2-3 years before buying a new model.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

It's a car, not rolling perfection. Most of your "problems" are with the gadgets, not the underlying machine. Buy a Lexus if you want gadgets, they do a better job in that area (but can't solve delayed acceleration problems).

I've owned M-B for 25 years and yes, there's occasionally a love - hate relationship with the M-B "ownership experience" due, I believe, to the mechanical (now electronic) machine not living up to OUR expectations (hyped in part by the price and by advertising). This runs in cycles - a good experience and we feel good followed by a bad experience and we curse the car, the dealer and then ourselves - for not buying a Toyota or Honda or Lexus etc. But we get over it and drive on.

I'm debating whether to buy a new S-Class model next year knowing it will be "tempremental" and need extra fixing both in the beginning and later on or buy another, more proven, E-Class car because it's somewhat simpler and therefore probably more reliable. Gadgets' "maintenance overhead" significantly outweighs their "benefits," in my opinion, and I don't want to spend my time having the cruise control radar, seat memory etc. fixed - it's just not a priority.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

If you want a modern luxury-class car - go Lexus. Test drive one and you won't go back.

Reply to
Ron Tellus

Wow! That is quite a list of problems for a car that sells for $48K. If I were in your shoes I'd be looking elsewhere.

I think the saying "fool me once, shame on you but fool me twice, shame on me" applies.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Lexus is renown for its reliability. However, as far as class and prestige is concerned. MB & BMW will still win hands down (I think)

Reply to
Orc General

The 2001 was the first year of the model in the US. I have a similar

2002 C320 Wagon which has been almost entirely trouble-free. So, while he may have a lemon, it may not be representative of current cars. (Then, again, mine may not be representative either!)

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

Hmmm ... whut to say frum under tha bridge ... luv driving my junk heap S klass. Of course down here in Florida and the Key West place, it has been a bit warm with broken air. But that is the price for driving REAL CLASS! And the other problems ... ah well. Next fall will compare the new Rexus from Japan with the new MB from Shrimp land and maybe even the Caddy from ... er ... well ... frum up North. Have a feeling the winner will not be the German Kar! And yes - you are nuts for driving that junk pile. Definition of crazy is doing the same thing which results in bad things and then doing it again and expecting different results!

mcbrue lookingforshrinksly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

Hey McBrue

Boy you must be under a good bridge for the water not to flooded you as out.

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Stupid is a bit harsh, misguided might be a little better way of putting it.

I would bail out on my 95 S320 but have to repair a long list of items before anyone would consider purchasing it. I've recently replaced the A/C evaporator, 2 of 3 coils, O2 sensor, wire harness (this is where I found that MB show NO LOYALTY to its customers), and trans cooler line.

Left to do are rebuild transmission (slips like mad in reverse), both vacuum pumps (locking and pull down assist), drivers seat gear, and a couple of dash lights.

In my opinion MB has lost its edge because it cut corners to compete with the Japanese models, I have a feeling the class and prestiege are on their way out as well... I've come to realize that whole "superior German engineering" thing is something of the past.

My next car will be an Acura or Lexus

Bob 95 S320 with ~70K miles and lots of quality issues

Reply to
Bob

Have you tried a Lexus test drive?

Reply to
Ron Tellus

And my 2001 CLK Cab has been pretty good (sorry to those who have read this before...), but then it was quite a long way down the production period.

And my service dealers have been pretty good. I now use a fairly recently-established one that has no sales dept attached so that there is no temptation to walk round the showroom...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Oops, forgot to list the fuel pressure regulator I just changed and the upshift delay controler that still needs to be replaced!!

Reply to
Bob

Yes, some of you make good points...

Yes it is the "gadgets" that are going wrong...not the drivability of the car (unless you count the fact that the car was dropped off on this Wednesday and I just received a call telling me "could we keep it over the weekend?").

However a car stickering for almost $65,000 should not be in the shop 17 days in it's first 6 months... I would find that unacceptable in a Toyota, VW or anything else. My wife's 5 year old VW has been in the shop once in the last two years for anything other than routine service.

Yes... some of you tell me it is simply a car...but it is a pain iin the ass of a car. It does not work the way it is supposed to.

Yes... some of you have cars that work, but I think there is a reason MB slipped to # 28 in quality satisfaction... it is not jus me.

Yes... some of you have older "real" Benz's that work properly... but the past couple of years has not produced any "real" Benz's at least as far as I can see and read.

The dealer is polite and tries to put on a smiling face, but obviously cannot make up for the 17 (and climbing as of today) days that I drove a loaner without my personal Cell phone (had to stay in the car since it was suspected in problems), left my EZ pass in the car, did without navigation on trips, did not have garage door opener in rain or snow, did not have decent sound system, drove a dinky c240 without 4matic in snow, did without third row seats when I needed them, left my kid's car seats in car because I thought they would keep the car for ONE day (guess again!).

Maybe some of you guys on this board are retired and don't need all this stuff, but those of us who own and run businesses, need to drive around with our phones, EZ pass, navigation, etc. to be able to do our job. Not being able to be reached by cell phone for 5 days is not good for a business owner who goes out into the field!

So today they call me to tell me that they are going to pull the entire fiber optic wire harness out of my car and replace it...should I be worried? Will this lead to more problems? They have had the car since Wednesday, and today (Fri) they tell me they need it at least over the weekend, until parts come in, and that my car is apart in pieces in the shop right now.

I should go buy a Kia ..drive it for two years and then throw it away... I would be ahead of the game in money and then never have to care about repairs.

Too bad I actually thought paying more money would get me more! I guess that adage only works in the world outside Mercedes Benz.

Reply to
Rich Williamson

Check out these sites they will show you some interesting facts on MB quality issues... actually scary how bad they actually are:

The least reliable cars include the S class E class, and the c class

73 problems per 100 cars...sounds like a good grade?... not!

trouble on the other side of Daimlerchrysler too

Maybe I should have read these articles BEFORE I bought two mercedes!

Reply to
Rich Williamson

I've said it before and I'll say it again , I remember when you purchased a MB , bottom of the line or the most expensive model they produced you had a quality ownership experience. You were ASSURED of having a quality trouble free vehicle that you could be take pride in. A car that was as good or better then anything on the planet . They were always expensive as hell , but you felt like you were buying the BEST. I can't understand what the hell happened to this company . After the buyout , the knee jerk reaction was that quality was going to go downhill , and it seems like that is exactly what happened . Oh well , it's a just a car.......... -Dana

Reply to
Dana

If you're talking about Chrysler I have to tell you that top Daimler-Benz management has, before that, wasted enormous amounts of time on excursions into household goods and aerospace. Apparently upset the MB car management rather.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

a car gets you from point A to point B.

you should not need to plan your trip with dealers service centers in mind

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

Which is what they need in the USA...