Please walk me thru an alternator brush replacement on a '91 Integra gs

Like where is the alt? Is it driver or pass. side. Is it hidden by the plastic baffles from below? I have the car jacked up one one side. Is this the assembly?

Is there a better place to buy it? Can'tfind it locally. I threw in a new battery and the battery light andantilock brake lights are still on. I've read here the alt. isaccessible from below and brush replacement is not hard, especiallywith the entire assembly. The only manual I have is for my olde '78civic. I'm in your hands. Cheers

Reply to
finding z0

Try this, you may have to paste it in.

finding z0

found it. stop.removed brush assy. stop. will order part tomorrow. stop.

Reply to
finding z0

Fixed it! It works just fine now. I saved $375. I got black finger nails, a small gash on my forehead, a couple of parts left over, but a new sense of pride. Gosh I love the web.......

Reply to
finding z0

"finding z0" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Excellent!

Did you replace the entire brush holder or just the brushes?

And how easy was it to undo the Phillips screws that hold the brush holder?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Entire brush assy. $25 to $30 on the web, or $8-10 at the local pop&pop's alternator shop (which I found 40 minutes too late to cancel the online order (which came 24 hrs after I ordered the part by 5-7 day ground shipping). I thought it was all over when then first screw gave me some trouble (the one you can see). I have a manual trans, but AC as well. I tried a fine tube and some 3-1 oil to loosen up the screw. It finally came out. The second screw I discovered when the assy wouldn't shimmy out (a diagram would've been helpful). It came out easier than the first. I used crazy glue to hold the screws to the screw driver for reassembly. Part of the second screw came off on the head of the screwdriver. Don't know how tight that one is. The assembly didn't quite sit on both screw holes. It would've helped to have a second hand in there to push the assy down against the second screw hole. I thought the alt. cap would be a trick to get back as I needed to pry it off from above with a BA screwdriver. It was tough, but I manage to give it a tap with a BA hammer. I had one of those cap nuts left. I wonder if it went under the metal tab that a plastic wire clip attaches to one of the alternator cap screws. Oh well it ain't pretty, but it works! Cheers Tegger.

p.s. now i know where the oil filter is. I stopped changing my oil (myself) when I couldn't get to the oil filter on this rig.....I may start again since J-L stripped my drain bolt.

Reply to
finding z0