Intermittent starting '91 Integra GS new clues

It's been starting fine. I think there is a short somewhere. I found it dead a couple of weeks ago as though it had no battery. Clock and radio needed to be reset. Started it in reverse downhill, then it's been fine. Plenty of battery. Today, i noticed, when I hit the brakes to slow down, the radar detector did its startup chirp sequence. At stop, running in neutral, hitting the brakes did nada to the radar detector. Every slow down the RD went off as though it had just been restarted. Brake light and cig lighter on same circuit? My daughter thinks she hears the radio antenna grinding at the same time as well, though I'm not sure about that. When we got home and shut it off, the belts didn't retract and the electric door locks didn't work. Then there was a grinding sound from behind the glove and then the belts retracted. I started it up just fine, just after. Halloween hauntings? Cheers

p.s. bad Saturday for me. Bringing my sailboat home hitched to the Integra, I had some trouble getting around a tree in my yard. I had to backup several x's to avoid the rubrail hitting the bark. The last backup was with the driver door opened. It hit the tree and pushed it forward of the stop and a loud crunching noise was heard by all. The door had pushed beyond its stop and into the forward panel pushing it inward, though little real damage was done to metal or paint. You can see the innards standing in front of the door. I tried a plunger, a Dent King (as seen on TV) to get it out. A crow bar has trouble fitting in there w/o messing something else up. I can see a slight break in a door hinge weld. Did i mention the main drain out of the house is almost plugged again? It use to happen every 2 yrs., the 6 months, now

2 months. Messy job. Not been a good weekend. I'm gettng to old fer this sh*t. Maybe that's why this sh*t is happening...... Hey! Where am I......
Reply to
finding z0

"finding z0" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

If it were a SHORT,fuses would be blowing. More likely it's an intermittent OPEN,possibly a bad ground. (the OTHER half of the circuit;of ALL the circuits:IOW;*common* to all of them.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Open circuit is what I was thinking, but couldn't think of the correct term. Thanks!

Reply to
finding z0

"finding z0" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Might *seem* that way, but have you actually CHECKED the battery?

To check, do this:

1) Turn headlights on for five minutes, the turn off again. 2) Wait five minutes. 3) Measure voltage across battery terminals Report results here, along with ambient temperature at time of test.

Got any aftermarket accessories installed (sound equipment, alarm, remote start, power door locks, etc)?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Reply to
finding z0