Service Questions for 2001 EL

Hi, I am looking at buying a 2001 1.7EL (Canadian) and I would like to know what service I should check into on high mileage cars (160K km).

I have no experience owning either Hondas or Acuras.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Reply to
winsor.robert

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Three biggies: Automatic transmission, the timing belt, and the outer CV joint boots.

Get the dealer to do a complete tranny flush with genuine Honda fluid. Make sure the transmission operates correctly and shifts smoothly. Honda has had major trouble with their automatics in recent years due to a design flaw. Yours may or may not be included in that bunch.

If there is no record of the timing belt having been done, do it. There is a high risk of severe engine damage if it breaks or slips. The belt, water pump and tensioner should be done all at the same time, every 170K km or seven years, whichever comes first.

The outer CV joint boots last about six-seven years before they start cracking. Catch it in time before they split, and a simple boot replacement (with OEM boots) is all that's needed. If they split, the shafts will need to be changed. That's not so expensive, but afterwards you will likely have no end of problems with the aftermarket replacements. It's always best to retain the original shafts as long as possible.

Secondarily, the brakes tend to require lots of attention to prevent seizure and reduced pad life (especially rear discs). In Canada they ought to be cleaned and lubricated every spring and fall.

Tertiarily, look out for rust. Prime problem areas are both ends of the rear wheel well lips. Rust starts from the inside and bubbles out. Rust at the upper corners of the wndshield is also common, and gets far worse if the windshield has been changed.

Other than the above, anything else would be pretty much whatever any other car would have.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Complete maintenance schedule for the 01 EL here:

Venture Rider