valve tap

I have a 1990 Acura Legend V6 with 96k miles and a valve tap.I bought it from a used car lot(caviat).I checked the oil and it is at sufficient level.The person at said car lot said because it has hydraulic valves no adjustments can be done to it to remove the tap.I say bullshit.They scheduled me to bring it in to rectify it one way or another.What say you ladies and gents as to what may be the cause of the tap?

Thanks in advance, Will

Reply to
W.Henry

I'll leave it to the people who know to tell you whether the lifters are solid or hydraulic.

If they are hydraulic (and it is true: hydraulic lifters have no adjustment), I recommend you try the simple things first. This is one of the few situations in which I recommend an engine flush. Follow the directions exactly, ending with an oil change. Again breaking with normal recommendations, I recommend you fill with regular "dino" oil (rather than synthetic, just because the purpose doesn't justify the extra cost of synthetic) in the lightest grade approved for the car - consult the owner's manual. Drive the car for several days - if the tap persists, do the engine flush again. If still no good after a week or so, time for a pro to replace the lifter. It is usually a good idea to replace all the lifters in that half of your V6 - the lifters aren't usually very expensive compared to the labor required to get to them and all the lifters have been in the same environment..

Collapsed lifters are usually an indication of sludge fouling, caused by neglect of the oil changes.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Generally speaking the hydraulic lifters on a 90 Legend do not require regular adjustment. However as the valves and valve train wear it is possible for the adjusters to run out of travel. This will cause valve tapping. The adjusters can be recentered, so that they are once again in the middle of their adjustment range.

My 90 Legend had this problem and recentering the exhaust adjusters cured it.

Your car could also be suffering from a sludge buildup or have a wornout adjuster. Best of luck.

Reply to
Natman

: > Thanks in advance, : > Will : >

: Generally speaking the hydraulic lifters on a 90 Legend do not require : regular adjustment. However as the valves and valve train wear it is : possible for the adjusters to run out of travel. This will cause valve : tapping. The adjusters can be recentered, so that they are once again : in the middle of their adjustment range. : : My 90 Legend had this problem and recentering the exhaust adjusters : cured it. : : Your car could also be suffering from a sludge buildup or have a : wornout adjuster. Best of luck.

Thanks guys,I have an appointment with the dealer to take care of this.I think after that I'm going to do the sludge removal thing .Seeing that it probably has never been done it would most likely be a good idea.

Reply to
W.Henry

Exhaust valves are adjustable but the noise usually comes from valve train wear due to sludge buildup. The exhaust pushrods will wear on the ends causing them to mushroom which increases the clearance in the valvetrain. Usually only proper way to fix is to replace components that are worn. Good Luck

David Short Acura God

Reply to
Acura God