1997 a4 water pump

I need to replace my water pump. My parts dealer lists a "water pump", and a "water pump with housing". Which one do I need?

I assume that I should replace the gasket while I'm in there, is that correct?

I did my timing belt a few months ago, so that's fine. Is there anything else I should do while I have the car apart? Thermostat?

thanks!

Reply to
Pronto Breakneck

Um....ok.

Same CD covers that one, too.

Buy the manual?

Enjoy your tea...

Reply to
daytripper

Sorry about that, it was an uncalled for smartass remark. I did ask about whatever else I should do while I was in there. I suppose the serpentine belt is a valid answer to that question.

Unfortunately - despite the fact that you quoted me - I forgot that I had asked that. Sorry, long day.

And is the part for the 1.8t also shown as an inseperable assembly?

And deny you all my charming wit and stunning good looks? Never.

Reply to
Pronto Breakneck

Hire a competent mechanic, keep him happy by paying him whatever he charges for parts and labor. He'll take a good care of you, he'll get all the needed parts and install them for you.

PS. I know it's a cheap shot, I just could not resist :-)

Reply to
D O G

Excellent advice, and that's what I do.

In fact, I actually go to three different shops. I go to the dealer for the oil changes (their price is maybe $5 more than an independent's) mainly to keep the car's records up to date and stay in touch with recalls, etc. I go to my independent shop 45 minutes away for big Audi-specific jobs, like my timing belt/water pump changeout. And I go to my local garage (14 years of patronage there and much mutual loyalty) for basic stuff like brakes, tires, inspections, and exhaust. This has worked out well for me. I respect the competence of my mechanics, and they respect my familiarity and attunement to my car.

Reply to
xymergy

Couldn't resist, all you're capable of, whatever.

Reply to
Pronto Breakneck