2001 A6 got wet... advise? experiences?

Hi all,

My 2001 A6 2.8 Quattro got wet last weekend because of the heavy storm (Philadelphia, PA). It took in water, about 1 foot high, up to the level of the power seat switches. All the electronics are screwed up, the engine won't start, etc, etc, etc.

Insurance company flips flops. One day they say they'll total it, and just yesterday they insisted on getting it fixed instead. The Audi dealer said they'll fix all the electronics and wiring and replace them, then it'll get sent to a bodyshop to do non-electronics stuff.

Has any of you had first-hand experience with this? Is this something to worry about? i.e., once they replace and fix all these things, is the car going to be fine? Or should I insist on getting it totaled - and if they won't, should I look to get rid of the car the minute after it got repaired?

Thanks for any help.

Gil.

Reply to
Gilbert M. Kowie

Gilbert,

I had a real similiar experience with my 2001 A6 2.7T. My wife drove into a deep puddle or pool during heavy rainstorm - water came up over the hood as she was driving through. It wasn't that deep, but it was deep enough with waves from a previous car. No water got inside the car and she was able to drive out. However, water was sucked into the engine and it hydrolocked. The contract insurance inspector/adjuster recomended that the car be total and at first that was what the insurance company was going to do. However, they then insisted on putting a used engine in. I strongly questioned this as it did not address the potential water in the electronics and the corrosion it may cause down the road. They agreed to put a year warranty on the car (it was out of the factory warranty due to mileage). After finding an engine and installing it. I brought it back for leaks almost non-stop. Over a threee month period from the accident - I probably had the car in my possesion for 12 days. Then after most leaks fixed, I started having unusual engine management issues that was narrowed down to wiring harness. At this point, I said enough is enough and I insisted the car be totaled. It finally was. Then I had to negotiate a fair settlement. It was a mess and ordeal that I don't wish on anyone. In the end I was able to negotiate a fair price and replace the car. It would have been a lot easier and more economical if they had done this upfront. I would strongly fight this if you got water in the car. Especially if you are already having electrical problems. At the very least I think you should insist on an extended warranty to cover you for the potential of future corrosion. Good luck and I hope you come out ok with this whatever happens. Tom Scanlon Account Executive Toshiba America Medical Systems Mpls., MN

Reply to
TJSCANLON

Sorry to hear that. Fortunately, I managed to stay dry here in Moorestown. I'm leery of the longterm effects of water getting into the body panels and electronics. Once the insurance company gives you the car back and you sign the settlement, they can wash their hands and you are stuck with any problems that crop up 2-3 years later.

Reply to
David

"Gilbert M. Kowie" wrote

Save yourself a lot of grief and insist on having it totalled. You'll be plagued by electronics/electrics gremlins a lot. As it is, Audi has a lot of electronics that like to break on their own and once water gets in, it's just going to make it that much worse.

A friend's Golf got flooded on the streets of DC a few years back. First, it took forever for the dealer to fix it all. And then it was never running right. Major problems with the tranny and some with the engine. Once a flood, always a flood.

Good luck with getting it totalled.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to